Shell vs Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a punch in the nose for Delvac. Keep in mind these are both conventional oils. Perhaps Mobil has lagged behind because they are pushing their synthetics. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Just read through the Shell material, not only are they claiming that Delvac 1300 doesn't meet the Volvo T-13 test requirements, but, Delvac 1300 didn't meet CK-4, Mack, and Cummins requirements either!

That is a big claim! Here is a copy of Shell's comments. On Mobil Delvac's website the Delvac is listed as having the Volvo, Mack, and Cummins approvals.

"The dotted lines denote the passing requirements for API CK-4, Mack EOS 4.5, Volvo VDS 4.5 and Cummins CES 20086 approvals. To pass these limits, the test oil must surpass 360 hours before breaking the API and OEM limits for oxidation by infra-red and KV 40 in the last 60 hours of the test. This sample of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil does not meet the minimum API CK-4 requirements or the Volvo/Mack or Cummins OEM requirements."

My thoughts? I think Mobil makes the worst products of the major players.
This isn't the first a competitor called out a Mobil product.
I bet Shell is correct on calling out the oil in question and cant be held libel because the product in question is in fact a failure.

Rotella has very robust add packs, high TBN..sold everywhere.. even JASO approved. From Generators to Heavy Equipment, Road Tractors, OPE and Powersports i think there is no better oil in applications where HDEO can be used.

Not the first, and likely not the last time Mobil has been called out for a rumble.
Currently on the Valvoline website...
" Formulated with more anti-wear additives that stay in your oil longer, Valvoline™ Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife™ Technology provides 40% more anti-wear film than Mobil 1 High Mileage*."
I agree with skyactive, of the majors, Mobil sits a ways down on the list.

I quit buying Mobil in the early 80's
I know T6 is the bomb from my own experience and I started running Chevron products in all other vehicles-OPE.
Delo does the job
wink.gif

That sudden explosion of degradation of the base oils is what happens when the antioxidants get depleted too much. I believe Shell’s claim because I think they are confident that the testing was performed properly and that they can defend it against any protestations by XOM.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I bet Shell is correct on calling out the oil in question and cant be held libel because the product in question is in fact a failure.

It's funny, so many people say Mobil the best but I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

It's funny, so many people say Mobil the best but I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be.

To be number one here all you have to do is have constant rebates.
Cheapness rules the roost here.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I know T6 is the bomb from my own experience and I started running Chevron products in all other vehicles-OPE.
Delo does the job
wink.gif

What do you think of Rotella? I'm using it and it is a good, quality oil

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is the PDS for Delvac 1300.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Delvac-1300-Super

Thanks Tig1, for the PDS. The Delvac 1300 PDS lists the specifications and approvals that Shell is saying that the Delvac sample they tested didn't meet? What is going on?
Not sure about the conventional oils, but Delvac 1 ESP is likely the top oil between it, T6 and Delo in the synthetic realm--it just costs too much.

Originally Posted By: car51
Delo does the job
wink.gif

I like it. Sometimes some brands are so good they are boring and you shop around but usually you end up right back to where you started.Hey, it's a hobby. Why not?
Right Adam???

T6 is awesome in my ZT's

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Rotella has very robust add packs, high TBN..sold everywhere.. even JASO approved. From Generators to Heavy Equipment, Road Tractors, OPE and Powersports i think there is no better oil in applications where HDEO can be used.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is the PDS for Delvac 1300.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Delvac-1300-Super

Thanks Tig1, for the PDS. The Delvac 1300 PDS lists the specifications and approvals that Shell is saying that the Delvac sample they tested didn't meet? What is going on?
Not sure about the conventional oils, but Delvac 1 ESP is likely the top oil between it, T6 and Delo in the synthetic realm--it just costs too much.

Delvac 1 30% PAO … Walmart.com now $27/jug …

Originally Posted By: car51
Delo does the job
wink.gif

I like it. Sometimes some brands are so good they are boring and you shop around but usually you end up right back to where you started.Hey, it's a hobby. Why not?
Right Adam???

T6 is awesome in my ZT's

Yeah, very true. Brother is using some Rotella T6 5w40 in the Tahoe that eas burning oil. I like Rotella oils personally. Delvac is good i hear

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Delvac 1 30% PAO … Walmart.com now $27/jug …
Delo can usually be had for under $20 a gallon and even cheaper when on sale. When using 4 gallons at a time, it adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back