Oil and filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 V8.

It has 42,000 kms.

I live up north in SK Canada. We get really cold weather.
I drive primarily short city trips. I tend to drive it hard which means hard acceleration, braking, cornering, etc.

I am looking to keep the vehicle for a long time and want a longer OCI.

What are your thoughts on which oil and filter?

If you need more info let me know. I currently use a 0w-20

Shell products with pureplus technology is what is "called for" by chrysler now days. Havent heared anything about mopar filters but oem usually gets the job done.

So you want a longer OCI. That can be done. Does Canada get Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20? Go 1 year on it, and whatever miles, as long as its under 20k miles (32k km) per year.
Mobil claims to have an anti-oxidant package in there, with their part-PAO base oils, to last easily 1 year.

Fram Ultra XG2 is about the best oil filter available, based on performance and construction. 1 oil filter can go up to 32k km, but I'd just change it every second oil change with your light amount of miles you put on.

Originally Posted By: Gixxer46
We have Mobil 1 Extended Performance.
That should basically work for 1 year given your low miles you put on, not to exceed 15k miles per year, or 24k km per year.
If you really want a great oil, and are willing to pay a little more, get Ravenol 0w20, which uses PAO+POE base oils, among other more expensive, high performance goodies. I might use that one at some point. Mobil1 EP and AP oils do have good amounts of PAO and other cool additive, so its generally good enough though.

The 4.7 was originally spec'd for a 30 weight. In your climate for extended drains? Amsoil 0w30 with an Amsoil filter. Done.

I don't believe any of the suggestions your getting are going to be any better than that Amsoil 0w20 you are presently using. I also wouldn't alternate oils like you're doing ,I think the Amsoil is a better oil than the RP. Stay with the SS and a Fram Ultra filter. It's about the best tandem I can think of. Also good win for the Roughriders tonight over the Argos. Sweet revenge...

Originally Posted By: madeej11
I don't believe any of the suggestions your getting are going to be any better than that Amsoil 0w20 you are presently using. I also wouldn't alternate oils like you're doing ,I think the Amsoil is a better oil than the RP. Stay with the SS and a Fram Ultra filter. It's about the best tandem I can think of. Also good win for the Roughriders tonight over the Argos. Sweet revenge...

+1

We get really cold weather. I drive primarily short city trips.

I see condensation and fuel dilution in your future.

It has 42,000 kms.

I drive primarily short city trips. I tend to drive it hard which means hard acceleration, braking, cornering, etc.

All of the suggestions you have received here are very good.

Your engine requires 5w-30 and that is what I would recommend. Shell presently is the only oil that is spec'd for that engine and is factory fill and used by dealers. If you are out of warranty, who cares?

Not to be sarcastic but if you intend on keeping this truck a long time, please change your driving habits. You can still go a long time but with costly repair bills. Driving hard will also shorten you OCI.

+2

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
We get really cold weather. I drive primarily short city trips.

I see condensation and fuel dilution in your future.

I do periodic longer trips to combat this. I’ll go for a longer trip once a week or so to fight this.

I also wouldn't alternate oils like you're doing .

Why not?

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx

It has 42,000 kms.

Your engine requires 5w-30 and that is what I would recommend. Shell presently is the only oil that is spec'd for that engine and is factory fill and used by dealers. If you are out of warranty, who cares?

Not to be sarcastic but if you intend on keeping this truck a long time, please change your driving habits. You can still go a long time but with costly repair bills. Driving hard will also shorten you OCI.

Exactly what I was going to say after I was done reading these posts.
cheers3.gif

Like what has been mentioned, Fiat/Chrysler recommends Shell, better known as Pennzoil, and that is what I run in my 13 Ram.
It is not only cheaper than Amsoil, RP and Mobil, it also receives excellent UOAs and has been proven to be a very good oil.

Currently there is a $10 rebate on Pennzoil oils until the end of this month and currently Part Source has it on sale. Win/win.
11.gif

http://www.partsource.ca/en/flyer.html

I have used for quite a few years now and I would be hard pressed to try anything else. I was a Mobil-1 fanboy for quite a few years but that quickly changed shortly after I joined this site.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: ka9mnx

It has 42,000 kms.

Exactly what I was going to say after I was done reading these posts.
cheers3.gif

Like what has been mentioned, Fiat/Chrysler recommends Shell, better known as Pennzoil, and that is what I run in my 13 Ram.
It is not only cheaper than Amsoil, RP and Mobil, it also receives excellent UOAs and has been proven to be a very good oil.

Currently there is a $10 rebate on Pennzoil oils until the end of this month and currently Part Source has it on sale. Win/win.
11.gif

http://www.partsource.ca/en/flyer.html

I have used for quite a few years now and I would be hard pressed to try anything else. I was a Mobil-1 fanboy for quite a few years but that quickly changed shortly after I joined this site.
12.gif

Edit: Forgot to post up the Pennzoil Canadian rebate info.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/promotion...G9jYXRvci5jZm0=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back