Isn't 100LL getting replaced this yr or soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff never drops below $5/gallon very often it seems, at major FBO's anyhow. Some small local air strips will sometimes show as low as just under $4 on airnav.

An unleaded version, likely around 95-98 octane. Possibly some valve friendly element or compound other than lead that isn't as toxic. I think. Haven't had my head in it in forever.

No timetable yet. It’s still in development.
Too many different parameters to test for.
They (faa) are down to two candidates. Shell has a product, as does Swift Fuels.

My bet is on Shell as they have the deepest pockets and distribution and production capacity are two of the FAA’s criteria for selection.
Another challenge is how the change over will be implemented. A LOT of aircraft will require significant alterations/modifications to run on the lower octane, no tetraethyl lead fuel. Some will require reducing ignition timing, others a reduction in turbo boost, some even all the above and new cylinder assemblies.
Of course at the owner/operators expense.

Further concerns are what effect the new formulation will have on composites and rubber components in the fuel systems. Think what happens to outboard Marine engines when ethanol containing fuels are used... diaphragm pumps, seals, fuel lines get dissolved by the aggressive solvents in the fuel. Plus, two stroke oil forms a slime when exposed to water after mixed with fuel, and allowed to sit...

I’m not looking for the change over.

I'm proud to be an EAA member for it is one of the lead organizations involved in the development of lead free aviation fuel... technically speaking primary use of
tetraethyl lead was knock or detonation control...

100LL Replacement on the Way
Forum Spotlights Alternative Fuels
By James Wynbrandt

July 25, 2016 - Are reports of the impending demise of 100LL true, and if so, where is your next tank of avgas coming from? An industry government partnership that’s been
working on developing a high-octane alternative aviation fuel has reached an important milestone, and today leaders of the Piston Aviation Fuels Initiative (PAFI) will
provide a comprehensive update on the program at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday July 26 at Forum Stage 10.

The EAA has been one of the lead organizations involved in PAFI — which commenced at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2010 — along with AOPA, GAMA, the FAA, and others. After a
preliminary round of testing candidate replacement fuels, four were approved for more rigorous Phase 1 testing, and those tests have recently concluded.

“It was incredibly exhaustive testing,” said Doug Macnair, EAA vice president of government relations, noting that high octane is just one of many properties a 100LL
replacement fuel must meet. Flash point, density, cold and hot start ability, compatibility with existing high-performance aircraft engines and components, storage
stability, and compatibility with the existing distribution infrastructure are among the other performance benchmarks that must be met. An independent body of technical
experts has evaluated the results of the Phase 1 tests and selected two fuels — Shell Oil’s Shell UL100 and Swift Fuel’s Swift UL102 — for the final, Phase 2 tests. These
two fuels will now undergo more exhaustive full-scale testing, first in engines and then in operational aircraft.

“... aircraft and engines were carefully chosen to represent the entire universe of general aviation (piston-powered) aircraft, without testing the whole fleet,” said
Macnair. “We’re now beginning to deliver fuels to test facilities.”

Phase 2 testing will be completed by the end of 2018, at which point one or both of the fuels are expected to receive fleetwide authorization from the FAA, approving their
use in all piston-powered GA aircraft.

Avgas is the only remaining leaded fuel used in the United States, and the Environmental Protection Agency has held off efforts to impose regulations on 100LL emissions in
anticipation of the successful outcome of the PAFI program. In addition to health and regulatory concerns about the leaded fuel, only one company in the world makes the
leaded additive that gives avgas its high octane boost, and given the relatively small market, there’s no guarantee the company will continue producing the additive,
adding to the impetus for finding an unleaded alternative.

PAFI participants acknowledge that as far as the program has come, many challenges are ahead, and at today’s forum attendees can tank up on the latest news from this vital
program. Joining Macnair on the forum stage will be David Oord, AOPA’s senior director of government affairs, regulatory; Walter Desrosier, GAMA’s vice president of
engineering and maintenance; and Peter White, FAA manager, alternative fuels program staff, AIR-20.

Thanks for that article, Busyshop. My hope is that once the new fuel is approved, there will be more than one or two refineries making it and thus price will hopefully come down some. I understand that the base fuel for 100LL is made by more than one refinery, I guess what I meant is that the lead additive is a one-source only product... I believe a place in UK is the only supplier? I really can't remember for sure.

You're welcome Lone... I hope for a lead free alternative too... not only is lead toxic to us its a high maintenance item for our engines...

I met with the folks from Swift fuels, due to my position with the flight department and the little toys in the fleet. Interesting and very capable folks.

FYI, the FAA recently put a "hold" on the testing of the unleaded fuels. The speculation is that this "hold" gives the competitors a chance to modify their offerings to better suit the requirements, based on what's been learned.

What I do hear from "insiders" is that none of the offerings fully meet the requirements.

Example: Swift fuels initial offering 102UL, (a binary fuel of trimethylbenzine and isopentane, mixed to achieve proper octane) may not start in cold climates. Yet meets/exceeds all the other requirements. An additional component may be required to aid cold starting. I believe they have a solution, and it will be presented next.

Oh, and I want to get the lead out!!!!!!!
smile.gif

red_xtra_resize.jpg

yellow_xtra_annual_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back