Some changes coming to Walmart Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Mobil’s 4.4L jugs are being phased out and replaced with 4.73L jugs. The design of the jug is the same as the ones currently seen on store shelves in the US.

2. Valvoline’s Easy Pour jugs finally makes it way to store shelves in Canada. VWB was spotted.

3. Is Valvoline Full Synthetic on the way out? The back of new Easy Pour conventional jugs compares it to MaxLife and Full Syn w/MaxLife Technology. No reference to Full Synthetic (formerly known as SynPower).

4. SuperTech makes it reappearance. Newly-designed blue bottles. Based on the bottom of the 1 quart bottle, it appears to be made by WPP.

5. FRAM TG and Ultra are back after disappearing from shelves for the past six months.

I'd be surprised if Valvoline Advanced full synthetic "goes away".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd be surprised if Valvoline Advanced full synthetic "goes away".

I would be too, considering they had some in the older-style jugs with D1G2 approval at some stores.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
1. Mobil’s 4.4L jugs are being phased out and replaced with 4.73L jugs. The design of the jug is the same as the ones currently seen on store shelves in the US.

It would be a pleasure if that happens across Imperial Oil's PCMO line.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: sir1900

It would be a pleasure if that happens across Imperial Oil's PCMO line.

It would make it impossible to price match with Canadian Tire, as an example, if the other Canadian oil retailers didn't move to 4.73 liters as well.

Let's hope the prices come down more frequent or rollbacks happen more often.

They Should also carry the exact same products like the US where you can get PP in the high mileage flavours.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Garak said:
It would make it impossible to price match with Canadian Tire, as an example, if the other Canadian oil retailers didn't move to 4.73 liters as well.

Who is typically cheaper, Walmart or the others ? I can tell you that Walmart in the US is going away from price-matching so they don't care in that regard. If Walmart is the highest volume mover of engine oil, the others will have to follow suit with the 4.73L bottles, I'm sure. Walmart's volume will have the oil distributors stocking 4.73L preferably and they won't want to deal with 4.4L.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

Who is typically cheaper, Walmart or the others ?

I would say that for the most part Canadian Tire has better deals on oil than Walmart does, at least for synthetic oils. Walmart always seems to have one brand of conventional oil on sale for a really good price each week but you won't always find one of the synthetics on sale. Canadian Tire always has one of the brands of synthetic (if not 2 or 3) on sale every week, and it's usually 35-40% off.

Another problem with Walmart is their selection of oil is nowhere near as good as Canadian Tire, especially when it comes to the Euro oils or something like Pennzoil Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Danno

Yes, but that wasn't as much of an issue as we wish it was in the first place. CT would occasionally have 4.73 L jugs of Shell and Valvoline products on special. Walmart would always use 4.73 L Shell and Valvoline items to have on special, and never discount the 5 L ones in the first place.

I guess we'll have to see what Imperial Oil does in general. The same applies to Castrol, really, at least for some of their line. The 4.4 L jugs aren't terribly convenient for most sump sizes, and it doesn't help price comparisons either, despite not being a huge difference.

With respect to hallstevenson's point, perhaps our WMs will be getting away from price matching altogether. With the 4.73 L Mobil products, I guess we'll have to check the labels carefully. Will they simply be U.S. Mobil products in a 5 quart container appropriately labelled for Canadian retail (French and the 4.73 L metric volume), or will they actually be packaged up here by Imperial Oil?

Originally Posted By: Patman
Another problem with Walmart is their selection of oil is nowhere near as good as Canadian Tire, especially when it comes to the Euro oils or something like Pennzoil Ultra.

This, too. WM used to be pretty good, with GC and M1 0w-40 readily available some years back, but the last few times I've checked Walmart, GC was gone and there wasn't enough M1 0w-40 to change oil on my G37, had I so chosen, much less a European vehicle with a high volume sump. Of course, years ago, WM used to have AC Delco filters for next to nothing, and I miss those days.

Also, I took a trip to my local Walmart last night and there was a very small selection of Ultra and TG filters there, and what they did have was in the clearance section. So those filters are not looking like they are making a reappearance at all CDN Walmarts.

They did have a good deal on Valvoline Synpower 5w30, it was $26.88 for the 4.73L jug. And they had Supertech synthetic in 5L jugs for $29.88. But they also had a bit of old Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 there in the silver jugs that looked like they've been there for ten years. I forget the price but it wasn't low enough to move it off the shelves.

Also, I took a trip to my local Walmart last night and there was a very small selection of Ultra and TG filters there, and what they did have was in the clearance section. So those filters are not looking like they are making a reappearance at all CDN Walmarts.

I think it's too soon to draw that conclusion. We have three Walmart locations. Of the two I visited, there is stock for FU and TG at one store, but none at the other, however, at the store where there is no stock yet, they are in the process of creating shelf space for them.

You should expect to see a revamped oil section in the coming weeks.

I hope you are correct, it would be nice to see Walmart beef up their oil section, and especially their selection of Fram Ultra oil filters. Although I will still continue buying my Ultras in the US, the price is still better even with the terrible exchange rate.

I would say that for the most part Canadian Tire has better deals on oil than Walmart does, at least for synthetic oils. Walmart always seems to have one brand of conventional oil on sale for a really good price each week but you won't always find one of the synthetics on sale. Canadian Tire always has one of the brands of synthetic (if not 2 or 3) on sale every week, and it's usually 35-40% off.

Exactly right. I haven't bought oil at Wally for about 9 years due to this. I go where the cheaper oil is so I don't miss subjecting myself to the people of walmart.

Don't forget about Part Source, Patman. Maybe it was a fluke or an error but I purchased 3-4 jugs of PP/PUP at PS back a while that were about $8 bucks cheaper than CDN Tire. I had already purchased those same jugs at CT but returned them when I seen the PS prices.
http://www.partsource.ca/en/flyer.html

With regards to this thread, I also hope WM increases their inventory as far as oils/filters go. I have never seen any other filters at my store other then the regular Extra Guard air and oil filters. I was glad when I did find the PP and PUP on Rollback for $28.88, but that ship has sailed, unfortunately.
frown.gif

The Partsource stores I have visited in Oakville and Mississauga don't seem to have a huge selection of oil either, I still find it to be less than Canadian Tire. But it's true, their prices are often better than CT (even though they are owned by the same company) Also, Walmart does not carry any of the oils I'm currently running in my 3 cars, but both Partsource and CT do.

The Partsource stores I have visited in Oakville and Mississauga don't seem to have a huge selection of oil either, I still find it to be less than Canadian Tire. But it's true, their prices are often better than CT (even though they are owned by the same company) Also, Walmart does not carry any of the oils I'm currently running in my 3 cars, but both Partsource and CT do.

Just like Wal-Marts, every store seems to be different for some reason? I have no complaints with selection my Part Source store. Lots of different oils and filters to choose from if I was playing that game but they always seem to have my Pennzoil oil and Fram TG's in stock. I rarely come out of that store without carrying something else too!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back