5W20 Mobile EP/7,000 Miles/18 Ford Transit Gas 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number of months oil in service: 4
Driving conditions: 95% highway miles in Mo and AR, I drive easy (van is personal use, hauls 500-1000 pound including driver and passenger)
Other: Fram XG10575 Oil Filter, Air Filter Ford Stock

Brand new 2018 Ford Transit purchased 2/18. I changed out the oil filter and oil at about 2700 miles (5W20 Mobile EP & Fram listed above) then ran it for 7,000 miles which is what this report is for.

OLM came on about 10,200, 200 miles longer than Ford says to change the oil (10,000).

Here is the comment from Blackstone:

You're already running a pretty long service interval with this Transit van, and the engine doesn't
seem to mind that one bit. Residual break-in is still a factor in this report, and that's our best guess on the
source of aluminum and silicon. Other wear metals compare well to universal averages, which are based on
a similar run of about 6,500 miles. The TBN is strong at 3.3, showing additive left in the oil. We think you
could get 9,000 miles out of the next run, just don't go longer than Ford wants you to. Look for less
aluminum and silicon in the next report.

Aluminum 11 Average is 5

Silicon 33 Average is 18

Other numbers which seemed out of whack (the rest were = to the averages or better):

Boron 57 Average is 44

Iron 17 Average is 13

Magnesium 695 Average is 185

Molybdenum 80 Average is 71

Potassium 4 Average is 2

Zinc 850 Average is 812

Any comments welcome, it'll be a couple days before I am near a computer to follow up.

Last edited:
Looks pretty impressive, to me. I just sent a sample of Mobil 1 EP 0w20 to Blackstone after 3,200 miles in my 2018 Jeep. It was the oil I went to after the factory fill, which showed all the break-in [censored] in it. (I'm guessing the factory fill was Pennzoil Gold 0w20.)

Your next one will undoubtedly be even better. Looks like that 3.7 likes the Mobil 1 EP.

Brand new off the lot it had a Castrol sticker in the upper corner of the windshield.

I'm going 9-10,000 miles this time.

Last edited:
Excellent choice of oil and filter. Mobil EP 5w20 has about 25% PAO, an expensive base oil to use, so its decent stuff. Fram Ultra oil filters are about the best performing filters available these days. Since you're using premium products there, 10,000 miles or whenever Ford's iOLM warns you, is fine, because you are beating the minimum Ford oil+filter performance spec requirements by a lot. (Ford allows you to use cheap conventional oil and a paper oil filters if you want and the iOLM does not know you're using better oil and filter.)

Originally Posted By: Rocky123
Aluminum 11 Average is 5
11 is very normal for a new engine. No problem. Expect it to go down a tad later on though.

Silicon 33 Average is 18
A little extra silicon in a new engine is from the new seals that sheds extra material into the oil. Normal.
Later on, it should drop, and if it goes up next time, then you can check to see if a little sandy (silicon) dirt is getting through an air filter or air path seal somewhere. For now, 33 ppm is a very normal number. No problem.

Other numbers which seemed out of whack (the rest were = to the averages or better):
All numbers looked good.
Missing is the KV100, low-shear kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees celsius, which is on the report standard, important to know if the viscosity was in the right range, which for you would be about 7 cSt to 10 cSt before we start to worry.

Boron 57 Average is 44 -- That is all additive in M1 EP, and its the normal amount for that particular oil. I think Boron is there to reduce piston deposits over time.

Iron 17 Average is 13 -- For such a new engine, you actually got very close to the Universal fleet Average of 13 ppm, so its doing great actually.
Expect iron/mile to drop in later oil changes, but some +/- variation is normal.

Magnesium 695 Average is 185 -- That is all additive in M1 EP, and its the normal amount for that particular oil. Mg is there as part of the detergent molecules.

Molybdenum 80 Average is 71 -- That is all additive in M1 EP, and its the normal amount for that particular oil. Moly is there as part of the tri-nuclear compounds for FM - friction modification. You see a lot of oils with around 70-80 ppm moly, and it seems to be the concentration where friction modification effects plateau off; in other words, more moly doesn't appreciably reduce friction any more. (Saw a technical paper on it where dosages were experimented on.)

Potassium 4 Average is 2 -- If this number were above about 15 ppm, it might indicate a small anti-freeze coolant leak into the oil. 4 ppm is fine, trace amount really nothing.

Zinc 850 Average is 812 -- That is all additive in M1 EP, and its the normal amount for almost all SN GF-5 oil sold. Its from the ZDDP molecules, an anti-wear AW compound used for many years.

Last edited:
We run our 2016 Transit Connect delivery van 15,500 miles on Mobil 1 5-30 Extended and an Ultra. UOA comes out fine. 90% hyw

4WD...I like it, no problems so far. Works really well for camping, hauling bicycles, etc. A big step up from a Silverado with camper shell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Missing is the KV100, low-shear kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees celsius, which is on the report standard, important to know if the viscosity was in the right range, which for you would be about 7 cSt to 10 cSt before we start to worry.

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F: 51.4 Average 46-57

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 7.70 Average 6.0-9.7

Flashpoint in °F: 395 Should be >385

Last edited:
My only other comment is THANKS for all the replies. I'm going 10,000 miles this time unless OLM chimes in sooner which I doubt. I'm done with that 3,000 mile stuff. My older family members (some of them) still follow that. I'm 50, I don't like crawling underneath stuff like the old days! More time for BBQ and beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back