Which PLIERS do I really need?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of constant tension pluers do I need for the coolant hose constant tension clamp on my 2005 5.7L Hemi?

Something called Mobea type? Another style called flat band?

Or some other kind of name?

I never heard there are different types. I looked them up and they look the same. You can use either style on a hemi, the cable type are good for tight hard to reach spots.

If you are only going to buy one, buy one with the Cable.

I have a pair like you show, but they can slip a lot. I also have two different needle nose Vicegrips which work better since they can lock on and then allow you to slide the clamp off.

And don't buy a cheap chinese brand. I've heard they can break after one or two uses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
If you are only going to buy one, buy one with the Cable.

I have a pair like you show, but they can slip a lot. I also have two different needle nose Vicegrips which work better since they can lock on and then allow you to slide the clamp off.

And don't buy a cheap chinese brand. I've heard they can break after one or two uses.

The ones I posted lock, and their are solid enough that you do not have to be worried about them coming loose when you are yanking on the clamp. I wish I had gotten them sooner, the reason I have hated those constant tension clamps is because I did not have the right tool for the job.

I think amazon sells 3 piece sets, but if youre going to go with the cable one, get one with a warranty. I break those pliers at least twice a year and have Snap on warranty them.

I have a cable one from Mayhew and use the normal Knipex Cobra (small ones I keep in my pocket. I have a few others but these 2 get 99% of them.

Before I got the Knipex I made do with the pliers shown below. They work okay but they neither lock nor do they have rotating jaws. There’s a good chance you may slip or lose your grip on the clamp. Knipex makes different pliers for tension band hose clamps and click-type clamps. They all have rotating jaws and some models come with a convenient locking mechanism.

MAYHEW 28680

28680_Mayhew.5710fdf678671.jpg

wk3d77.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back