Selenia Touring 5W50 - Fiat TD100 - elevated lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !

Fiat TD100 engine (4 cyl 1910cm3 diesel + Garett GT15 turbo, 100hp, old school prechamber indirect injection system)
Sent this sample cause I was suspecting a cracked head, turned out the leak isn't internal.

But elevated lead ??? And no copper. Is it possible that the bearings are so worn out that all the copper disappeared and only the lead stays ?

Oil is Selenia Touring 5W50 - what I had on hand last time, usually I put some 5W40 or 10W40, or whatever I have.

Engine works as it should except it's loosing a very small quantity of coolant. Apparently these engines are known to crack their aluminium head, doesn't seem to be the case there, or the crack is external to the combustion chambers.

Is is possible that the lead comes from a fuel additive ? I usually fuel at brand stations with "top tier" diesel. Or from some part of the turbo, like some bearings?

What little I know , the copper is applied to the bearing " shell " with the white metal applied on top of it .

I would think you would have to wear through the white metal first , to get to the copper ?

On modern cars , I am not sure the white metal is Babbitt or aluminum or some other alloy ?

I know nothing about bearings, but that would make sense
smile.gif

I have other UOA for cars in my sig that shares the same engine base, and they definitely shear copper and lead, so I guess bearings are copper/lead on these engines.

Here there's no copper...ok very short run and thicker oil than usual, but still
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back