'16 Acura RLX 10,010 mile OCI M1 0w20(presumably)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: Bought this car with 13,3xx miles. The OLM is basically a dummy OLM and it goes down by 10% every 1000 miles. It is a hybrid so lots of start/Stops. Car is driven 80% city. Overall this car is awesome. I regularly get 33.5 mpg. I could get more but my right foot complains.

Oil analysis:. So the dealership where I bought this car said it was Mobil 1 after plugging my VIN in their computer hence my presumption. New oil is Royal Purple HPS 5w30 with Mobil 1 M1-110 oil filter that's been sitting in my house for 9 years. If I'm missing anything please ask. Thank you!

This is definitely not Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has not had this much calcium in many years. My last UOA of Mobil 1 in 2015 showed less than 1000ppm of CA.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This is definitely not Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has not had this much calcium in many years. My last UOA of Mobil 1 in 2015 showed less than 1000ppm of CA.

Think that’s right … Ca should be way lower and lean on magnesium … and moderate on phos, zinc, etc, etc …

Any guesses as to what the oil might be? This car was bought at an Acura dealership and the service guy said that the only synthetic oil they keep in stock is Mobil 1.

That's an awesome car that seems unloved by the motoring press. My wife had a 1998 RL purchased new and run for 10 years, 140K miles. She loved it. The only thing that ever had to be repaired was a frozen brake caliper.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
That's an awesome car that seems unloved by the motoring press. My wife had a 1998 RL purchased new and run for 10 years, 140K miles. She loved it. The only thing that ever had to be repaired was a frozen brake caliper.

You're absolutely correct. The service advisor at the dealership tells me that they rarely ever see RL/RLX's in the shop. He says it's the best vehicle Honda builds. Even the paint is twice as thick as any other Honda/Acura. Sad that it doesn't sell well which in turn means poor resale/trade-in value.

Originally Posted By: deven
Any guesses as to what the oil might be? This car was bought at an Acura dealership and the service guy said that the only synthetic oil they keep in stock is Mobil 1.

Someone other than the dealer may have changed the oil or added something like eg Rislone zinc to it after the fact.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Someone other than the dealer may have changed the oil or added something like eg Rislone zinc to it after the fact.

M1 would have had a good dose of magnesium and additives wouldn't have changed that, so I think it has to be something else completely.
Possibly Mobil Super synthetic (pre dexos1 Gen 2) if it really is the dealer's oil and they only carry XOM? I haven't looked at a VOA for one of those oils in a long time, but I think they had a lot more calcium than M1 and little magnesium as of several years ago.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The dealer said that they did the oil change as part of a check list to do so they can sell it as a certified pre-owned. Youre probably right that they might have added some sort of an additive though. I'll call the dealer today and see if their answer is any different.

I would have a 50 pound bag of salt on hand for what most dealers say. Tell him you ran an analysis and it was not M1. Let him squirm for a minute.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would have a 50 pound bag of salt on hand for what most dealers say. Tell him you ran an analysis and it was not M1. Let him squirm for a minute.

HAHA, will do!! There is a reason why they are called stealerships in the first place!!

Originally Posted By: PimTac

HAHA, will do!! There is a reason why they are called stealerships in the first place!!

Yes that Stealership sent you a loud message. Don't use us again we lie!

This was likely some kind of synthetic, just not M1 obviously, and not Valvoline (no Na). Like Virtus said, it could be bulk Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20.

I guess you had the royal purple HPS sitting around & wanted to use it up, yet its the wrong weight, high ZDDP, and not SN; voids warranty if Honda-Acura finds out. As long as this engine doesn't use much oil, it won't foul the catalysts at least. One oil run with it should be fine, but of course using spec oil is best in a newer engine like this.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
This was likely some kind of synthetic, just not M1 obviously, and not Valvoline (no Na). Like Virtus said, it could be bulk Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20.

I guess you had the royal purple HPS sitting around & wanted to use it up, yet its the wrong weight, high ZDDP, and not SN; voids warranty if Honda-Acura finds out. As long as this engine doesn't use much oil, it won't foul the catalysts at least. One oil run with it should be fine, but of course using spec oil is best in a newer engine like this.

I hear you on the warranty. I have really never ever had an oil related issue in my 27 years of driving so I'm hoping I keep that streak going. The car doesn't use oil at all so hopefully no issues with the catalytic converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back