Topping Up CV Joint Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clamps on my CV Joints have come loose and grease has leaked out. The joints and boots are still fine. I want to add hear and new clamps. The vehicle is a 2004 4Runner. I believe they are original cv joints.They don't get torque applied to them very often as I'm usually in 2wd.

I have a fresh tube of Amsoil Polymeric in my grease gun. It's 5% moly and according to Amsoil website "combines an over-based calcium-sulfonate complex thickener and proprietary synthetic polymeric technology". Assuming what's in the cv joint currently is lithium based, this could be compatible.

Would it work in the outer cv joint? Would I be better off to buy a few tubes of Toyota oem outer cv grease? Or buy another grease gun for some valvoline or Red Line Cv2?

Should I use this or anything else on the Inner joint? I see a lot of people using a polyeurea in inner joints. But it's incompatible with basically everything so I'd need to be sure of what's in there now.

My other grease gun has red synthetic NLGI2 non moly grease.

Last edited:
I would push the boot back, clean the joint and the inside of the boot as well as I could and use the Amsoil.
Use half a tube (7oz) on the outside joint then clamp it up tight. Wipe the clamping surface on the joint and inside of the boot carefully with a rag soaked in brake cleaner to insure its clean and wont slip.

Supposedly, Amsoil no longer markets a grease that is suitable for use in CV joints. I would use Redline CV grease.

Given the age of the vehicle, it may make sense to remove the axles and install new boots. Toyota makes a really nice CV Boot Kit for around $30/boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back