Help With programmable thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, I am in the market for a new thermostat for the house HVAC. I set my daytime temperature at 77 and night time at 73 pretty much the whole year. Are the off-the-shelf thermostats able to do this or do they have to be reprogrammed every week? Reason I ask, the Honeywell thermostat I am looking at says 7 day programmable on it. Thank you

You set the program for the week and it maintains it until you change it or the battery dies.

7 day means you could program different temperature for each day of the week if you wanted to, and it will repeat the program every week.

Like almost every device, you can go to the manufacturer's site and download and read the user's manual to see if it will meet your needs before buying.

Generally you can select every day, weekdays only, weekends only, or day by day for when the program will be in effect.

There's a heating program and a cooling program so you would have to set both of those up.

You set it once and forget about it.

7 day programmable allows you to customize M-F and Sat&Sun separately. For example, I keep the A/C down for the entire weekend, where during the week I have mine set to go up a little bit during the day.

I just bought 4 nest thermostats for my two homes. They are currently on sale at Best Buy. These thermostats are not only easy to install, they are easy to use and include expanded energy saving capabilities such as “home/away assist” which knows based on the location of your smart phone and sensors on the thermostat whether you are home or not.

Personally I don't see how a nest thermostat will save more money than any other of the programmable thermostats. Yes it has cool features and remote access, but most people's schedules aren't so hectic that their thermostat needs to be constantly adjusted.

If you're into home automation, it's a good gadget to have.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Personally I don't see how a nest thermostat will save more money than any other of the programmable thermostats. Yes it has cool features and remote access, but most people's schedules aren't so hectic that their thermostat needs to be constantly adjusted.

If you're into home automation, it's a good gadget to have.
Yeah I don't get it either. The cost of buying them over a $25 programmable thermostat would probably take 100 years to pay for itself.

I go on www.hvac-talk.com from time to time, the HVAC guys say those Nests are terrible for A/C units and don't work well with variable speed ones.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You set it once and forget about it.

7 day programmable allows you to customize M-F and Sat&Sun separately. For example, I keep the A/C down for the entire weekend, where during the week I have mine set to go up a little bit during the day.

^^^THAT^^^

The Honeywell 7 Day is a great thermostat, it will always hold your settings, its powered by your system and has a back up battery for when power to your home is interrupted. Thermostat will tell you if back up battery ever gets low which lasts a few years, I would avoid other brands, me personally.
We actually have two HONEYWELL 5+2 DAY THERMOSTATS which came with our home and now 12 years old. The 5+2 lets you set weekday schedule and weekend schedule.
The 7 day is a step up as you can program each day.

I would avoid wifi thermostats (such as nest ect) too, you will save more money with the Honeywell 7 Day.
The only time a wifi might be good is for a vacation home, or home you do not live in. Other then that and ANY WiFi thermostats, its nothing but marketing selling you a gadget with "sizzle" and does nothing and I mean nothing to save you more money then the non wifi thermostats. They are HIGH marketup profit generating gadgets.
With that said, for the gadget lover, that is great! Its a great device.

For the person looking to heat and cool their home efficiently and care free as possible, Honeywell 7 Day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back