Kia ATF/PSF compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about Kia ATF & PSF. The transmission calls for M-III or Dexron-IIE and the power steering is PSF-III. Is PSF-III just Dexron III?

Would any modern 'Dex/Merc' fluid work for both applications?

V7DVoS3.jpg

Originally Posted By: baomo

Would any modern 'Dex/Merc' fluid work for both applications?

Valvoline Maxlife ATF is all you'll ever need.
thumbsup2.gif

"Spaer" tire?????

I run Valvoline Maxlife ATF Dex/Merc in my kid's Hyundai transaxle, with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the power steering. Works perfectly.

I've been using Valvoline Maxlife in the transmission and in the power steering reservoir. Either clean or replace the power steering reservoir as well as there is a screen filter inside. I haven't been able to clean it out completely so I'm replacing mine later, they're around $12. Pretty sure Kia has the same setup as Hyundai. Mine started leaking from the power steering hoses after exchanging fluid, but I've read that it's a common problem for the 2.7L plus the car wasn't in the best of shape when I got it.

Ok, thanks for the replies, I'll go with Maxlife.

If PSF-III is just Dexron III, I wonder why they didn't just spec one fluid all the way around?

If PSF-III is just Dexron III, I wonder why they didn't just spec one fluid all the way around?

Maybe so they can sell you the over priced PSF from their parts department?

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Maybe so they can sell you the over priced PSF from their parts department?

^^^This is the only thing I can think of.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
PSF-III I have seen is amber in color, makes me wonder if DEX-III is compatible.

I haven't seen PSF III, however I have seen the Toyota Tacoma Factory Fill PSF. It is more of a standard lube type color, golden to brown-ish as it gets older. But, Toyota calls for Dex II/III ATF as the replacement and that's what I used, working fine.

I contacted Valvoline and they confirmed that it is a Dexron III even saying Dex/Merc is fine. I don't remember the prices, if MaxLife is only a few bucks more for a gallon I'll probably go with that, otherwise I'll look for another brand name Dex/Merc on sale.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support with your technical question.

The power steering in your 2002 KIA Sportage with a 2.0 uses a Dexron III ATF fluid in our systems. We would recommend either our Valvoline Dex/Merc or Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Both would work in you application. The Maxlife ATF covers the KIA PSF-III if you are worried about covering that spec.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.

Valvoline Product Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back