When Did Riding Mowers Stop Using Rope Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a a Murray riding mower I got second hand that has both key/battery start and rope start. The battery died about 10 years ago so I just use the rope start .. does require some odd body contortions since I have to reach forward with leg/arm to extend left leg to hold down clutch and grab rope, but also lean back far enough to keep enough weight on seat so as not to trigger the safety mechanism that kills engine if no weight on seat. Was just wondering when manufacturers got rid of rope start option since I never see them anymore

I think the rear engine mowers had pull start into the 1980's.

Pictures011.jpg

Last edited:
My gosh-doing away with rope starts and using new fangled contraptions.

This must be BITOG...........

Originally Posted By: scrier
I have a a Murray riding mower I got second hand that has both key/battery start and rope start. The battery died about 10 years ago so I just use the rope start .. does require some odd body contortions since I have to reach forward with leg/arm to extend left leg to hold down clutch and grab rope, but also lean back far enough to keep enough weight on seat so as not to trigger the safety mechanism that kills engine if no weight on seat. Was just wondering when manufacturers got rid of rope start option since I never see them anymore

If you have the gear shift in neutral and the parking brake set, you should be able to start it from standing behind the mower.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Pictures011.jpg

Snapper with a Honda. That will last pretty much forever, haha.

My 05 Arctic Cat w/a Kawasaki 650cc Twin has a pull start as back up.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Sadly, they have disappeared from ATVs too.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx

Honda’s still have them even the rincon. I have used the one on my rincon and it is a pain in the butt. The battery has to have enough charge to run the fuel pump other wise it will never start with the pull rope.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: Ursatdx

Honda’s still have them even the rincon. I have used the one on my rincon and it is a pain in the butt. The battery has to have enough charge to run the fuel pump other wise it will never start with the pull rope.

My 2003 Honda Foreman has a pull start but my 2013 Honda Rancher does not. I visit my local dealer about every other month to chat with the sales people and I have noticed newer models don't come from the factory with recoil starters. Add-on kits are available but I'm guessing Honda slashed them for cost-cutting measures.

Edit: Just looked at Honda's website and the Rincon does come with a recoil starter. It is an option on the Rancher and Foreman.

Last edited:
I have a grizzly 660 and it has a backup rope start, however I have never been able to pull it past one or two compression strokes, and never fast enough to start it.

If I was stuck in the woods it might motivate me to pull harder, but that engine is a thumper. It's just too big for a rope start.

I want to say I seen a rider with a rope start 10 years ago, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Pictures011.jpg

I had this mower!
laugh.gif

Your's looks great...with a new(er) engine?
What engine is this and is this an old pic?

I am guessing its mid to late 90's because my brother in law gave it to me and he bought his first house in mid 90s. It's front engine 12.5 HP 38' cutting width. I like its simplicity.

I grew up mowing our yard on a Snapper like that. Loved the fact that you tilted up on it's back to change/sharpen the blade, which was just that, one blade. Only problem was if you had a super wet yard, the water splashed up on the drive wheel and caused it to slip. Weird design now that I think about it.

Probably too many lawsuits from people trying to pull start 17+ HP engines and hurting themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back