Planning ahead on winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up an extra set of factory alloys for my Tundra ,and am researching winter tires . (275/65/18 )
So far I’m interested in the Yokohama IG 51 ,and the Blizzk DMV2 . I’m open to any other tire suggestion that are offered on winter tires for my truck . TIA .

Last edited:
The Nokian Hakka R3 might be what you're looking for, or perhaps the R2 on clearance

The Dunlop Winter Maxx is also a good winter tire

You are a little late but tire shops clear out winter tire stock usually starting in February, maybe a month later depending on where you are, but that's when to buy whatever they have in your size. My last winter tire purchase (for the Miata) was $250 all four corners, mounted and balanced, bought in March '16.

About half the September price (Continental ExtremeWinterContact, an excellent tire and I've been using dedicated winter tires on every vehicle since the early 1990's).

If they sell the General Tire Altimax Arctic in your size that's the best bang for the buck.

As someone else noted, poke around online for clearance priced winters.
I've bought them that way in the past for probably 60-70% off.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
If they sell the General Tire Altimax Arctic in your size that's the best bang for the buck.

Altimax is for passenger cars

Grabber Arctics are for light trucks, SUV's

Originally Posted By: nixon
Just picked up an extra set of factory alloys for my Tundra ,and am researching winter tires . (275/65/18 )
So far I’m interested in the Yokohama IG 51 ,and the Blizzk DMV2 . I’m open to any other tire suggestion that are offered on winter tires for my truck . TIA .

I had DM-V2 on BMW, and they are OK. What I found is really good deep snow performance, OK dry and OK rain. However, they are really, really weird in lateral ice performance. They hold road and out of nowhere with no any progressive loss of traction they just let go, and it is pita to get them back on the track.
Now I have Michelin Latitude XI2 on BMW. Was very, very skeptical of that tire due to tread design. However, they are step above DM-V2. They are light years ahead on dry and rain, they are equally good in ice, and no this weird lateral behavior. They are just bit less aggressive in deep snow but not surprise as tread is less aggressive.
Have Nokian R2 on Tiguan and that tire is amazing in deep snow and ice, and amazingly bad in dry and rain.

Hercules Avalanche X-Treme snows work well here in Michigan winters. I run them from late November till about mid March. Never had any issues in poor driving conditions.

Thanks for the advice , and suggestions . As winter tires become more readily available locally , I’ll make my purchase ,and post what they are . I am mostly looking for good performance in snow over a layer of slush . That seems to be the most likely condition that I encounter here in W. Pa .

If your concern is slush, then look at the Nokian Hakkapeliita SUV. They design their tires for more than just snow/ice straight line traction. They design for slush and cornering in those slippery conditions also.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-275-65r18-t429060-tires

$139.39 per tire for the R2 SUV isn't that bad of a price, especially when they are replaced by the R3 SUV probably this year.

Thanks for the advice , and suggestions . As winter tires become more readily available locally , I’ll make my purchase ,and post what they are . I am mostly looking for good performance in snow over a layer of slush . That seems to be the most likely condition that I encounter here in W. Pa .

Nokian R2 SUV is probably best bet for slush. However, I have to emphasize again, if dry performance (and you will be driving in dry conditions) and rain (braking and handling) is any concern, it is abysmal.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Nokian R2 SUV is probably best bet for slush. However, I have to emphasize again, if dry performance (and you will be driving in dry conditions) and rain (braking and handling) is any concern, it is abysmal.

That's the tradeoff you get. It's a pickup truck, hopefully, the OP is loading the truck bed with bags of sand to get some weight on the rear axle.

For what we get here, the top of studless tires tend to have soft compounds, with heavy siping, and tread pattern made to grip the snow, which is usually a recipe for poor dry handling and hydroplaning prevention. You can get a AT tire that is winter rated, but you may gain some dry handling, maybe not hydroplaning resistance, but you sacrifice white stuff performance.

Is West Sunbury (not to be confused with Central PA's Sunbury) close enough to Lake Erie to get Lake Effect snow?

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
Hercules Avalanche X-Treme snows work well here in Michigan winters. I run them from late November till about mid March. Never had any issues in poor driving conditions.

I ran these as well on my last truck and also thought they were a great tire but I am unsure fi they are available anymore? Also, and if I'm not mistaken, they are owned by Cooper or are a Cooper tire, which I highly recommend.

I currently use Cooper winter tires on my 13 Ram and I also purchased a set of Cooper snowy's for my wife's 17 Impala last November. Imo, for the price and how good they work, they should be given strong consideration. The tires on my Ram, which I have ran for the past 5 winters are holding up great with still a ton of tread left. When these eventually wear out, maybe in another 3 to 5 years, I will definitely be purchasing another set.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I bought my R2 SUVs on clearance two springs ago and it happened to spike up into the 60s the day after I got them, forecast was only for 40s. They were very unpleasant when it was that warm and I really felt like a had no braking power when some moron ran a red light and I had to lock them up. I had dedicated winter wheels and just wanted to run the new snows for a few days after having them installed before putting my summer tires on over the weekend, but I did the swap when I got home from work on the warm day because the tires scared me so much.
I was happy enough with them in the dry and wet as long as it was cold...they were very good on ice or in any depth of snow for me. I had to be very careful with them when we got a bizarre spike into the 70s this past February, just like the February before...right around winter break for the public schools around me both times.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

That's the tradeoff you get. It's a pickup truck, hopefully, the OP is loading the truck bed with bags of sand to get some weight on the rear axle.
Is West Sunbury (not to be confused with Central PA's Sunbury) close enough to Lake Erie to get Lake Effect snow?

Yes to both . I run weight in the bed ,and have a relatively heavy tonneau cover (retrax pro ) .And we are definitely in an area that gets lake effect snow . I have a set of R2s on my wifes Pilot for winter weather . The are as other posters have stated . And I apologize for not stating that initially . I just wondered if there is something out there better suited for a truck given that I think the Nokians would be iffy on a truck carrying a load ,or towing something during a temporary warm spell .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back