re-paint, how long to wait before wax/sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was rear-ended by a crazy immature teenage girl who was texting. I just got my car back from auto body shop with new rear bumper and trunk lid. I was told I can gently hand wash now, BUT I should wait 6-8 weeks before a wax or sealant should be applied because the paint needs to fully cured?

Is this accurate??

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

I was rear-ended by a crazy immature teenage girl who was texting. I just got my car back from auto body shop with new rear bumper and trunk lid. I was told I can gently hand wash now, BUT I should wait 6-8 weeks before a wax or sealant should be applied because the paint needs to fully cured?

Is this accurate??

Thanks

Like I stated in a previous post about paint cure time vs waxing. Each paint system is different, the shop knows what system they used and the paint manufacturer's cure time recommendations. If you wax too early the paint has not had enough time to fully cure and off gas, and this could cause issues down the road and invalidate the paint warranty. The best advice I can give you is listen and follow what the paint/body shop has told you to do and you should be ok.

Always follow manufacturer's recommendations and professional advice to the letter with coatings. If the shop says 6~8 weeks, wait 8.

Now, I've painted a lot of things with a lot of different types of coatings. I can't say that I always followed the manufacturer's advice to the letter, as I'm suggesting you do. BUT ... it was always a matter of time constraints ... maybe we couldn't wait for weather, for example ... and in every case it meant re-coating much sooner than if we had done as the guidelines said to.

So, as long as you realize that ignoring the Paint Shop's advice will mean re-painting your car sooner than you should have to,and "sooner"might mean in as little as a few months or years before at least some failure becomes apparent, do whatever you want.

Guy asks a question on a site where most people do things their own way and then get a dozen responses saying "follow manufacturers instructions".
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
When the Malibu got fixed they had me wait 90 days. That is what I have been told in the past as well.

Same here, 90 days and then you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Guy asks a question on a site where most people do things their own way and then get a dozen responses saying "follow manufacturers instructions".
lol.gif

Not a direct comparison.

When someone asks for recommendations for a custom engine build, our question is the same - what did the builder say?

Paint - what did the painter say?

In both cases there are too many variables and only one person has them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back