2014 Accord 4cyl using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's accord has been dealer serviced since new, oil changed at 20% on OLM or sooner, seemed to go down very little between changes, last oil change around 36k miles I decided to do it myself, went with Mobil1. 0w-20 and Honda filter. Checked oil after close to 3k miles and 60% OLM and had to add 1.5 quarts. Is there a problem with these engines or just the way it is?
TIA

Originally Posted By: mvent
My wife's accord has been dealer serviced since new, oil changed at 20% on OLM or sooner, seemed to go down very little between changes, last oil change around 36k miles I decided to do it myself, went with Mobil1. 0w-20 and Honda filter. Checked oil after close to 3k miles and 60% OLM and had to add 1.5 quarts. Is there a problem with these engines or just the way it is?
TIA

Some use oil unfortunately and some don't. You could try a different brand of oil, or bump it to a 0W30 or a 5W30 and see what happens. Some would suggest you wait until after the warranty is up to bump it to a 30 grade. If you were to go back to Honda and complain about having to add oil, odds are they'll have a story for you about it being acceptable, assuming you don't have a leak, and send you packing.

Not the first time I've read this when switching over to M1. I used to frequent the Accord forums and have read this several times and then some. Keep using M1 for a few intervals and consumption should level off. Who knows what oil the dealer was using prior to this. Keep us posted as it will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is just the difference in additives/chemistry/cleaning etc. that the oil is doing.

My '15 Accord with the I4 never used a drop of 0w20 Mobil 1 AFE that I used several times, but it's now needed about .75 a quart top-off with a sump full of Castrol Magnatec.

Take that however you will.

I had a 2013 Sport and now a 2017 Sport SE; both are similiar to your 2014 Accord.
Always used M1 0w20 and a M1 or Wix filter.
Doesn't go through a drop.
I put about 50K on the 2013 and have 17K on the 2017.
The 2017 is going bye-bye for a GS350 F Sport...

Originally Posted By: mvent
TIA

Odds are the dealer was using 5w30 and not telling you. Happens a-lot.
Use 5w30 and watch consumption drop noticeably.

One family member has an 09 Acura TSX with the K24 that burns quite a bit of oil. It has since he purchased it around 30K. Another relative has an 03 CRV with the K24 (170K) that never burns a drop despite being driven quite hard. Ironically, the original owner for both of these cars is the same person, so I doubt maintenance has a whole lot to do with it in this case. Even though these are different engines, it seems that the consumption issues are either there early on or appears with high mileage in all K24s. I would have thought that Honda would have found a few ways to improve it over the years, but it doesn't look like it.

Take a look at your air filter and make sure dust hasnt gotten past.. Check PCV and do as the others recommended.

Thanks for all the replies, have no idea what dealer used they said 0-20 syn but who knows, came out of a long hose from the ceiling. Warranty is up in January, and I know if I bring it with a complaint, the answer will be " that's acceptable" If not Mobil1 what brand? Have no problem going to 5w-30, car is garaged, temp seldom goes below 10 degrees F around here.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Originally Posted By: Zee09
I would not use M1.
Most likely your issues will go away.

+1

Why? Why would M1 cause or exacerbate oil usage? Where is the link other than the typical piling-on on internet forums? If there is a reason, i'd be all ears...

I would not use M1.

Welcome back! I know who this is, lol.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I would not use M1.

Welcome back! I know who this is, lol.

I guess i took the bait. Lol.
Trolling.gif

With over 450K in my last three Ford engines(2.0,2.3,2.5) top up has not been needed with M1 0-20 oils.

I recently used M1 EP 10Wx30 in one car that had never seen M1 before and after 1000+ miles there is ZERO oil consumption. I couldn't believe it since I usually had to add ~6 fl. oz. or less by then ... another 1000 and see if the trend continues ...

Maybe it's due to the lower Noack of 10Wx30 in general or the EP version?!

car had PPPP d1g2 5Wx30 in winter and PP price jumped by almost $8 for 5 qt. to what M1 EP was ...
May try PPPP 10Wx30 or the ultra next time (depending on price) and see what it does or may stick with M1 EP 10Wx30 for THIS car forever!

This doesn't mean the car may behave the same with M1 EP 5Wx30 or 5WX20 (other options for this car) ... and you can't draw conclusions based on one oil change and one bad or good experience. A lot of other variables involved ...

FWW had similar issue on 2010 CR-V used M1 0w-20 for years. Switched to QS full syn 0w-20 and have not seen any oil consumption

Went to Honda dealership to buy PCV none in our area, went to Auto Zone, Napa and O'Reillys all said special order, what's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back