Right oil for a 1.2 TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, this will be my first post here and I'm looking for recommendations for the right oil for my car, I'll try to provide as much details as I can and convert all the units to Imperial.

First details about where I'm from, I live on an island of the coast of Portugal, it is very humid and temperatures all year round range from 50ºF to 86ºF, very rarely below or above that, sulfur in our gas "should" be less than 10ppm but I wouldn't count on that, and choice between different oils is a little limited but I'll get to that.

As for my car it was bought second hand and is my first car, a 2011 Skoda Fabia 1.2 TSI 8v with 86hp.

I got the car with 33 000 miles and later had it serviced with Castrol Edge 5w30 LL VW 504, the car burned some oil but never really measured it, my last service was at 44 000 miles and because of the oil burning and the fact I have fixed servicing, I put in Castrol Edge 5w40 TurboDiesel VW 502 and up until now, 3700 miles later, the car has burned around 1 to 1.2 quarts of oil, and smells a little like gas.

My car has a very simple crankcase ventilation system where it vent directly to the turbo, and due to the blow-by and oil in my intake, I've routed the ventilation to the ground and sealed the turbo, hoping to get a catch can later.

On to the oil, from what I've read from a few topics here, the Castrol edge 5w40 turbo diesel is not really praised here.. and I want to stick with 502 since I'm not sure about my gas quality and I'm sticking to regular oil changes.

What would help me more with the oil burning, a ACEA C3 oil or a A3/B4?

Castrol 0w40 and mobil 1 fs 0w40 aren't available where I'm from and the only option is to order them from amazon, I'll say a few prices to possible help with the decision, my car takes 3.5 Qt.

Mobil 1 FS 0W40 - around 9.5$ per Qt
Castrol Edge 0W40 - around 10.50$ per Qt
Castrol Edge 5W40 Turbo Diesel - around 8.2$ per Qt
Motul 5W40 502 Specific - around 8% per Qt
Motul 5W40 X-Cess - around 7.3$ per Qt
Motul 5W40 X-Clean - around 7.8$ per Qt
Total Quartz 9000 5w40 - around 5$ per Qt
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 - around 6.5$ per Qt

All these are amazon prices so they may shift, and shipping cost too.

I'll try to answer any questions you might have as best as I can.

I hope this post is not too confusing and the English not too broken, thank you in advanced for any input!
grin.gif

you don't have a front PCV where the diaphragm will tear from time to time? This goes to the intake manifold.

Oil choices?

Get what is easily available to you.

No, my engine is different from the 2.0 TSI, just has a one way valve that allows the crankcase vapors to go directly to the turbo.

So a ACEA C3 or A3/B4 wont matter?

Theres plenty of 502 to choose from, just wanted to find out which ones would fit my car the best, also considering it burns some oil.

Originally Posted By: Filipelol
Theres plenty of 502 to choose from, just wanted to find out which ones would fit my car the best, also considering it burns some oil.

According to your list the Total Quartz is the cheapest and it does have 502 00 approval. That seems like the winner then.

So SHU is group III+ and all the others are group III? I was under the impression Motul was a group IV base.

Not the X-cess at least, or there's barely some gr 4 in it.
Actually the 5W40 X-Cess and the 5W40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy (energy is important) are pretty similar. The Total being a full group III.

Motul likes to surf on the full synth Gr 4/5 reputation...maybe in the past, maybe the 300V line, but the rest ?

If I were OP, I'd stay with SHU or the Total (energy version)...or the oil with the best NOACK

The 0W40 looks good, except that with a NOACK of 12 it won't pass the MB229.5 cert they are claiming (or not, I can't read the text, sorry).

I'd stay with a low NOACK oil...MB229.5 cert is a way to know it's under 10, which is good.

Well it does say it has MB 229.5, could it have something to do with it saying that the noack is "max" 12? Or they are being deceptive with the manufacturer aprrovals.

I wasn't sure cause I can't read it, but it must be formulated in a way to say "equivalent performances to MB 229.5" and not "MB 229.5 certified" stricto sensu.

Many manufacturer use this kind of blurry description unfortunately.

Repsol is widely use in Spain and it would be easy to buy in Portugal. There are a lot of Repsol petrol station there. At least in the mainland

I would use the 0w40. Better flash point, so I expect better temperature stability and as it had been said, better specs. MB 229.5 is better than 229.3

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I wasn't sure cause I can't read it, but it must be formulated in a way to say "equivalent performances to MB 229.5" and not "MB 229.5 certified" stricto sensu.

Many manufacturer use this kind of blurry description unfortunately.

Equivalent. Cepsa and Repsol use the word quality level but never manufacturer approval. Mobil 1 uses manufacturer approvals for a bunch of specifications and according to ExxonMobil meet a different bunch of spec, so equivalent quality level

Nível de qualidade(pt)=nivel de calidad (es)=quality level(en)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back