Non-Retractable Radio Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2018 Silverado 3500HD W/T has a non-retractable radio antenna mounted near the windshield on the passenger side.

Recently, when I was in a hurry, I took the truck through an automatic car wash. The antenna is approximately 30" long, and it took a decent beating from the automatic washer. It survived just fine. But it definitely took some abuse.

Would you remove the antenna every time you went through the car wash? There are quite a few fine threads holding the securing nut in place. And the nut is finished in a nice flat black finish. I'm sure after removing it 1-2 times, it's going to be marked up pretty good, and missing some of it's finish. Is it worth the hassle or not?

It is the chance you take using automatic car washes. I would think keeping it on would be fine, otherwise the car wash would make you remove it to keep from having to pay for damaged antenna's

My local car wash removes the antenna on my Rav4 each time it goes through.

These types of antennas are becoming rare.

Last edited:
My Jeep is the same. I replaced the long antenna with a short rubber type. I still get good radio reception and it handles a car wash much better.

My grandparent's had a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ, the spare antenna in the trunk had an orange plastic thing you slip down the antenna and you can twist it off without damaging it. I stuck it in the glove box for car wash trips. Might be able to get one from the dealer. Or member 01rangerxl on here might be able to help.

It looked like this, it slipped on from the top. Although this appears you'd have to buy the whole thing

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15087886-Original-Equipment-Antenna/dp/B000S2U5XW

One reason I replaced the short rubberized antenna on my car with a sharkfin was because I was worried about running the former through car washes...the number one reason was that it looked really stupid.

Well, I’ll depart from what seems to be the common wisdom. If you’re going to use an automatic car wash that uses either rotary brushes or those oscillating/flopping sponge strips, remove the whip antenna. My wife’s ‘11 Highlander has a fixed whip antenna, and I used the neighborhood car flopping-strip wash a few times during cold weather. The antenna mast certainly got rough treatment in the process, but didn’t sustain any obvious damage—until I turned on the radio and no longer had any reception of nearby radio stations. The antenna mast survived, but the wire that picks up the radio signal clearly sustained an internal break. I replaced the mast with a new OEM Toyota piece, and the radio was back in business. The new whip came with a handy little wrench that now sits in the glove compartment, ready for car wash duty.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
better yet, don't go through automated car washes

Exactly. Your antenna may survive, but your paint won't
frown.gif

Of course man. I think it is 8mm or 5/16 IIRC. Like maxdustington said, tape the wrench if marring the finish ever so slightly is a worry. I never considered that. Mine is a 2003 2500 but I worry pretty good about any car I take thru the wash that I remember to remove the antenna. The workers/attendants are there check for you as well, but I try to do that which I can so as not to overwork others unnecessarily.

The outcome could be bad. No duallies, no antennas, careful with rear wipers, car in neutral.

Did you see the post where the Ford truck got over $5000 in damage from leaving the antenna in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back