Mobil1 Ann Prot 20K Road Trip-Test Results Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to the test results of this project.
Where r the short trips mixed in sowewhere? At least this should show more about how M1 Ann Prot won't oxidize or thin out too much over lots of highway miles. Some drivers with long commutes, etc., may indeed benefit from less maintenance here. Many short trips (cold) thrown in and I wonder if it can survive.

From https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-performance/20k-road-trip
Putting our miles where our mouth is
Thanks to the breakthrough lubricant technology of Mobil 1™ Annual Protection motor oil, your engine is protected for 20,000 miles between oil changes, guaranteed.* Don’t believe us? We’re demonstrating it on a 20,000-mile grand odyssey across the country – on one oil change.

From our Research and Engineering Center in New Jersey to Indianapolis Motor Speedway (and 46 other states in between), our motor oil will be put to the test in a Chevy Equinox SUV and a Ford Fusion sedan. These vehicles will traverse mountains and deserts, navigate city blocks, ramble down highways, experience cool weather and face high heat over the course of three months.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They need to do something to sell it. But until that price drops down in the low $20 range they will never make a sale here.

I mean, I get trying to increase confidence in this product but it says "each vehicle's engine will be inspected for wear" at the end. I don't think you will find obvious signs of wear due to one too-long OCI by pulling off the valve cover or whatever they have planned. Plus, they are "sampling" the oil every 5K which means they are topping it up with fresh oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
They need to do something to sell it. But until that price drops down in the low $20 range they will never make a sale here.

I mean, I get trying to increase confidence in this product but it says "each vehicle's engine will be inspected for wear" at the end. I don't think you will find obvious signs of wear due to one too-long OCI by pulling off the valve cover or whatever they have planned. Plus, they are "sampling" the oil every 5K which means they are topping it up with fresh oil.

Oh, just how much topping off is that ?

The shelves at Walmart are still stocked to the brim with this oil. At 38 bucks for 5 quarts, they'll be there for a while. Although, Castol Edge gold bottle seems to be getting just as expensive...

When it first came out , Walmart had it for $ 50 .

I plan to continue to pay less and change more often .

Quote:
our motor oil will be put to the test in a Chevy Equinox SUV and a Ford Fusion sedan

I wonder if they are using an Ecoboost engine in the Fusion.

Unless there are several other oils tested, including their own, what can be said if it's better one way or another?

How much wear could happen in 20k. This test has a lot of questionable points. Compare this to the 100k taxi tests or any of the other test regimens that all the oil companies have done over the years.

Granted, how the oil itself holds up is the focus here but the rest of the test is hardly anything to brag about.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
The shelves at Walmart are still stocked to the brim with this oil. At 38 bucks for 5 quarts, they'll be there for a while. Although, Castol Edge gold bottle seems to be getting just as expensive...

Somebody is buying a bit of it here … but the EP is the bigger mover

Just your usual EM biased test with absolutely NO real value. No Control, nothing and they are using their own labs to do the sampling! LMAO! Am I supposed to believe this?

No thanks Mobil, I don't believe your false hype and never will, there are so much better oils out there for the same price point or less!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Just your usual EM biased test with absolutely NO real value. No Control, nothing and they are using their own labs to do the sampling! LMAO! Am I supposed to believe this?

No thanks Mobil, I don't believe your false hype and never will, there are so much better oils out there for the same price point or less!

Speaking of bias.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Speaking of bias.

I don't know if they are necessarily so much better. But I do know there are some other full synthetic oils priced more conservatively that are very close in quality. I can get QSUD for almost $3 less than the Mobil 1 price on Rollback at Walmart. That and the fact I can get a rebate on QSUD makes it cheaper than Mobil 1 on Rollback with a rebate. Makes sense to me not to worry so much about what is the absolute best as opposed to which oil a what price is still a good value and will give your car the needed protection. I change oil at nearly every OCI. My car is approaching 122K and it uses much less than a half quart between changes. Of course if I used the best the car might last me another 10 to 20K.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

How much are they going to sample? Only a small amount is required. Did they say they would be topping it off? Some assumptions are being made here. Besides, every 5k is only 4 times. I doubt they are taking a quart each time. I would bet they are confident in this oil and aren't planning any tricks to make it look better. It should be able to stand on its own. The 0w20 variant of this oil will be going in my 2018 Jeep soon. I won't run it 20k, but I will do a UOA on it when it gets to 7 or 8k or when we get to October, whichever comes first.

I guess you have to factor in the labor costs (maybe your own DIY), convenience of leaving the stuff in the sump longer if you drive a lot of miles, for this M1 Ann App to justify its higher price.

I just hope they don't hide the pistons from us like they did on their other dyno tests. They are hinting they will tell us what the "residue" will be internally.

Also, if you can make it 20k miles, even in this 90%-highway test, without viscosity climbing too high, then it does show something. Of course, we hope they don't lie to us and fudge the results a bit in secret. ... It is hard to trust anything they say or do. The only other reference for when Mobil cheated in the past was when they: "This vehicle was also a participant in the famous (but well hushed ) Mobil1 hoax/coverup.. "-- https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threa...-disco2.146101/ ... some lies from Mobil.

Bottom line, sad, but you can't fully trust companies trying to create something. Here, we might be able to catch what they are covering up, and reveal it here, and/or they may actually succeed in viscosity control and deposits minimization(???)

Just your standard M1 reply with no real value …

One of my late uncles owned a Chevy or GMC tractor truck . 366 CI gasoline V-8 . He ran it 2 or 3 times the OCI as Dad did on the family car .

Uncle hauled grain during & after harvest . WOT , once he got it on the highway . And 99% of it was highway time .

But it had a LARGE oil and air filter . It also held about twice the amount of oil as a car . He owned the truck and most / all of his own maintenance . He did not tear stuff up because all the $$$ were coming out of his back pocket .

He would get around 300,000 miles on an engine back in the late 60's early 70's .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
One of my late uncles owned a Chevy or GMC tractor truck . 366 CI gasoline V-8 . He ran it 2 or 3 times the OCI as Dad did on the family car .

Uncle hauled grain during & after harvest . WOT , once he got it on the highway . And 99% of it was highway time .

But it had a LARGE oil and air filter . It also held about twice the amount of oil as a car . He owned the truck and most / all of his own maintenance . He did not tear stuff up because all the $$$ were coming out of his back pocket .

He would get around 300,000 miles on an engine back in the late 60's early 70's .

I always trust news from the field more than any "independent lab" assurances. Thank you for sharing.
Sump size make a big difference, of course. MB knew that a century ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back