00 to 03 Audi All Road ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
been missing my outback since letting y son have it. the CRV just does not carry as much as the Sub used to. i have always liked the style of the Audi All Roads but was leary of the turbos and generally the Audi rep for those years . also doing the maintainance seems very involved.

So now that they have come down in price considerably i am thinking of picking one up. So what are the major issues with them ? i am not scared of working on german cars as i been doing it on our 02 e46 for years.

Anyone with experiece with them please chime in

Thanks

That's a hard pass from me, which should tell you something.

If you're after a mistress - a running project, you should go for it. However - many have been neglected and have looming transmission problems. Many will have air ride problems.

If you are not scared of German cars than go for it, they are super cool. I would want an A4 with a 1.8T but those were the bad 1.8s. There were always A4s and tons of A6s of that vintage in the scrapyard, I think they can get really expensive to fix. I know that one of the turbo V6s always has cam issues because of heat from the turbo, there was a V8 but man those German engines with eight or ten cylinders seem to be super complex.

Much cooler than the Volvo Cross Country or whatever, those might be easier to fix.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
been missing my outback since letting y son have it. the CRV just does not carry as much as the Sub used to. i have always liked the style of the Audi All Roads but was leary of the turbos and generally the Audi rep for those years . also doing the maintainance seems very involved.

But you are still thinking about buying one? When in doubt don't.fine German engineering isn't worth it.

The 2000-2003 Allroad has bottom of the barrel reliability. I'm not bashing German cars in general, but that particular model had a ton of problems. The big ones I can think of off hand are the air suspension and the torque converter. Family friends paid $2k to fix the air suspension only to have the torque converter go a year later.

There was a jalopnik type article online where they came up with the "Audi All-road index of unreliability"... as in it was the most unreliable vehicle possible that other cars can be measured against.
They do look good though and I do like that type of vehicle so we got a new Outback. Hopefully it ranks low on the Audi All-road index...
AWD drive turbo V6 Audi's in general look terrifying under the hood to me anyways.

Doug DeMuro recently crushed one of these POS vehicles on YT. Why?... well it was so useless and unwanted, that the prospect of destroying it on video was far better and less stress than any other idea.

Last edited:
He is pointing out the major flaws of car. He does like Euro cars just hates this thing.

I am so impressed how strong the car is being flipped over in the video. All doors work!

Originally Posted By: madRiver

He is pointing out the major flaws of car. He does like Euro cars just hates this thing.

I am so impressed how strong the car is being flipped over in the video. All doors work!

Why would anyone bring up a Land Rover in a reliability thread?

frown.gif

maybe i should get a e46 wagon instead. put some nice wheels on it and drop it a inch or so am it should look good

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Maybe he is trying to make a point that an Allroad makes even a Land Rover look good, as far as reliability goes?
smile.gif

I absolutely love these cars. However, would I buy one? [censored] no! Why: read the article posted above. It takes the words out of my mouth.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
maybe i should get a e46 wagon instead. put some nice wheels on it and drop it a inch or so am it should look good

Now you're using your noodle!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Maybe he is trying to make a point that an Allroad makes even a Land Rover look good, as far as reliability goes?
smile.gif

Oh man, Houston we have a problem then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back