installing backup camera. Where to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tapping the reverse light wire to get 12v power, but also notice their is another wire coming out of the light that is solid black. Can I tap into that wire and use it for a ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
Body. Scratch off some paint add sheetmetal screw and washer and finish with permatex red. Or alternatively under a screw honding something else down that's through the sheet metal. That's all.

The Body is at GND.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
How about the bumper behind the license plate?

Might work but often bumpers are isolated from the vehicle ground due to safety provisions (foam, rubber bushings, etc). But there will be a good ground at your license plate lamp.

A good ground is essential in automotive systems. You can always run a wire from your camera to any convenient point that you know is part of the frame or chassis. Remember in a car current flows from negative (ground) to positive, so the ground is a critical part of any electrical connection.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm tapping the reverse light wire to get 12v power, but also notice their is another wire coming out of the light that is solid black. Can I tap into that wire and use it for a ground?

Tap that solid black cable to reverse light ground wire. So it only works when you back the car up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back