How copy an existing stair stringer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside wooden steps from a small porch, front door down to ground , 5 steps, last step is just about down on the ground level.
last foot that sits in/ on the cement pad that is in the soil has fair amount of rot. 34 years young.
I want to make a copy of the stringer and sister (with nails or bolts) it (or now that I think of it, sister the bottom half. none of it is visible.

whats the best material to get a fair pattern match? I dont know if I can do the rise and run thing with a framing square but maybe I can, on a 2x12.
I made a poster paper copy thats fair, whats next up fpr pattern material cardboard? I need a good pattern as quality 2x12 treated is expensive

Last edited:
I saw it done once using a roll of butcher paper. They traced the pattern and used thumb tacks to secure the paper. Tape would work as well but you need two stringers. Trace off of the same pattern.

You plan to just slap a second stringer to reinforce the first one? You are going to have to change the joist hanger anyway, so if you could pull the old one out and copy it that would be best. However, you may as well just replace it at that point.

I am not sure that you could get a good pattern while it was in place and if you are going to cut a stringer why not just cut a new stringer and do the job correctly?

I misread the original post. You say you want to sister the new stringer onto the old?

I would not do this. Get rid of the old and go with new stringers. Also, take care of the ground exposure at the bottom.

Get the book and do your own. Uneven steps are a trip hazard. Normally you're supposed to measure them out so that the rise for all the steps are uniform. You don't really get that with pre-made stringers as the top or bottom may be too high/low. And yes, you should use joist hangers, that's usually code in most places.

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Stair-Stringer-Layout-Methods-ebook/dp/B007URAYO8

Oh and as for trip hazards, I know one landlord that lost a case when a tenant fell on the steps. Said it cost him 60k, 30k for the tenant and 30k for the lawyer. Automatic loss for him as he had uneven steps. Code here is that you're not supposed to have more than 3/8 inch variation in step height. If you measure the whole distance and divide it out, they should all be uniform in height. There's a reason why if you go to a commercial/government building, every step you encounter will be uniform in height. (if not, trip and sue...
laugh.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back