Drained out oil but couldn't open filter housing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have this bmw 1 series that I bought recently.
I decided to change the oil at the weekend, drained out at the sump. Then I went to look in the engine bay for the filter housing it was like none I'd ever seen before.
I had no special tool to open it. As I needed the car this week I filled up with the required 5.2 liters of oil. So basically I am running this week with fresh oil and dirty filter.
But now it's dawned on me...

there is always a certain amount in the filer so have I over filled it? Allthough its saying it's ok on the dash electronic dip stick
I ordered the special tool but it hasn't arrived yet. Will it be ok just to replace the filter? or is it wise to drain the oil and use fresh?

regards

Its fine to have a little used oil in there, no problem.
Also, if your electronic oil level sensor (dip) says the level is OK, then its OK. Its a good sensor. It can sense over-fills. I think the newer BMW's have the sensor be active when idling, warm engine, on level ground. If I recall correctly anyway.

Lots of us run filters for two or three changes. No issues and the are some professional papers dealing with the benefits of some retained oil as it has already activated AW compounds unique the engine at hand. I know it runs against the OCD in us, but I now stagger oil changes and filter changes by a few weeks to get that benefit.

On vehicles that are not dirty or trashed from never changing the oil, the filter is not really dirty. It's just passing oil and waiting for small bits and pieces, carbon clumps, etc. Most filters have so much life left in them, that it's not even a concern on the third change.

You are doing fine. Just run this change out and see what you get when you do the filter next time
smile.gif

Car only takes 5.2L? What engine do you have in your 1er?

Filter housing only holds about half a L, being overfilled by that much is not that big a deal. What does your level sensor say? (Edit: just finished reading your post), if the sensor is saying it is at the full mark, you are OK.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reassuring replys it's a 123d

When I bought the car in march, it had DPF problems so the engine was pretty coked up, so maybe I should put fresh oil in?

Originally Posted By: vase_shagger
When I bought the car in march, it had DPF problems so the engine was pretty coked up, so maybe I should put fresh oil in?

Didn't you just change it this weekend?

Would you please describe what is "special" about the tool you ordered?

An aside regarding European and other different-than-No. American market-cars.

You have always had cool cars. I suppose you've had junk cars available too. But now that "self-driving" and other super high-tech features are creeping into the market, I bet the era of cool cars is ending.

Soon we'll all be sitting in cars which resemble the "Clockwork Oranges" of Glasgow, Scotland.

Laser 3117 Oil Filter Wrench Cup Type 76mm X 14flu

I didn't have a tool to get the filter container open. So I had to order the above off ebay

Coking has to do with combustion. I suggest that the previous owner lugged the engine in an effort to get fuel economy. Could also be the local fuel available ...

Should not have hit the lubrication system much. Mostly valves, turbo, exhaust system ...

There may be fuel system treatments that can help and spending more time in the upper RPM ranges will help
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back