Oil question for a 2018 6.7 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mechanic is telling that he wants me to use schaeffer 15w/40. What do you recommend for a 2018 F250 Powerstroke? I live in southern Wisconsin.

Schaefers is good oil. Mail order it and carry it in. See what he says when you supply the oil
laugh.gif

Difficult to answer unless you provide more info. We know you need cold starting capability. How much do you drive and tow?

I would run a 5W40 synthetic that is Ford approved. You will need to check the Ford document on oils approved for the Ford Powerstroke (this is all about CK-4 oil).

Rotella T6 5W40 in the containers that pass the Ford spec would good.

Delo 5W40 is also good. I see a lot of that oil that is CJ-4 on shelves at Walmart. Stock up on some of that. The CJ-4 passes the Ford spec. But if its CK-4 then you need to check to see if it passes the Ford spec.

Last edited:
Read the owners manual and use an oil with the specs recommended by Ford.Buy an oil from any of the major companies.

You really don't need your mechanic to change your oil.
That said I just got out from under my SUV now and changed it so I
understand.......

Ford gives big deal coupons on new trucks and you couldn't even buy the oil for what they do it for. They used to take 13.5 quarts. Don't know what your new one takes.
But an oil change from an independent could be really expensive.

I suggest asking Schaeffers and getting their recommendation. We need to be kind to Schaeffers around here, the Bob (RIP) in Bobistheoilguy was a Schaeffers rep.

Unless you use the truck for towing and by towing I mean more than on the weekends you don't need a 15w-40 or 5w-40. If you look at previous threads there are plenty of powerstrokes running a 10w-30. 10w-30 as far as I know is factory fill. I've read alot of threads where 5w-40 shears down to a 30 anyway while the 10w-30 stays in grade. No need for expensive synthetics if you're going to change oil according to the owners manual and not push gvwr.

My dad just picked up a new 2018 F-250 I put Rotella T5 10w-30 in it for him at 4400 miles. He tows 15k on the weekends. Will be keeping a UOA record on this truck as well. By the way there are quite a few c&p of filters as well, take a look. I know the baldwin b7379 filter is wire backed synthetic as that's what I put on.

Originally Posted By: Buzzinhalfdozen
Unless you use the truck for towing and by towing I mean more than on the weekends you don't need a 15w-40 or 5w-40. If you look at previous threads there are plenty of powerstrokes running a 10w-30. 10w-30 as far as I know is factory fill. I've read alot of threads where 5w-40 shears down to a 30 anyway while the 10w-30 stays in grade. No need for expensive synthetics if you're going to change oil according to the owners manual and not push gvwr.

My dad just picked up a new 2018 F-250 I put Rotella T5 10w-30 in it for him at 4400 miles. He tows 15k on the weekends. Will be keeping a UOA record on this truck as well. By the way there are quite a few c&p of filters as well, take a look. I know the baldwin b7379 filter is wire backed synthetic as that's what I put on.

Did he wait the 1000 miles before he towed?
That was tough on me, the wait
smile.gif

Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 series is still CJ4. My Jeep GC Ecodiesel uses the S-9000 5w40 and my LBZ Duramax uses the S-9012 10w30. Great oil at a reasonable price...

FYI... The Duramax pulls our 10K# TT throughout the Idaho Rockies..

2016 PSD owner here.
Schaeffer is a fine oil no doubt. So is Valvoline Premium Blue and Rotella. All of those vendors 10w30 are on the list.
I'm in the camp of a 10 w being good to 20 degrees F, so if you get colder than that in Wisconsin, consider a 5w40. Your truck going to a cold climate may have come with a block heater. If so, I would stick with the 10w30 year round. Seriously, you'll find the 6.7 will start and run in any temperature you are brave enough to walk out into unassisted anyway.
I'm running Delo 15w30 in mine, but it gets stored along with the camper from October through March, so no cold starts for me.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure Delo meets the ford spec. I use 15w-40 delo sde in my Duramax. Good stuff. I would be more concerned about bypass filter on your diesel.

OP - the Schaeffer 15w40 synthetic blend your mechanic is recommending is on Ford's approved list, and is a good oil.

Only caveat is that I wouldn't use a 15w below about 10 degrees F without a block heater. Been there done that - not good.

Originally Posted By: Shata
Im pretty sure Delo meets the ford spec. I use 15w-40 delo sde in my Duramax. Good stuff. I would be more concerned about bypass filter on your diesel.

Delo is not on the list. At least not the new CK-4 stuff. There is still CJ-4 in the wild, that is OK.

Bypass filter? None from the factory obviously, but IMO, any diesel benefits from bypass filtration especially if extending OCI, and leaving emissions stuff intact. Lots of options for the 6.7 platform.

Last edited:
Chevron decided to not make any CK4 only oils, all of their oils are CK4/SN multi vehicle so a no go for FORD PSDs.

I have grown pretty fond of Schaeffer's 711 10w30 CK-4 in my factory reman Detroit 60. It stays tighter in grade than 15w40 Schaeffer it got early on does. I use it year round in a Class 8 that moves an average 65,000 lb of truck and cargo. 858,000 miles on the motor since the reman. Still only uses about 2 qt in 22,550 mile average oil changes as it has all of it's life and UOA's look as good as when it had 50,000 miles on the reman. As soon as Schaeffer started switching to CK-4 I started using the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back