Car Horns

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit of a first for me, so I'll ask around and see what the great minds of BITOG have to say on the subject.

Since I bought it almost 3 years ago, the horn on my Focus has sounded anemic. The first time I got under the car it became clear why. There are two aftermarket horns and one was smashed by a rock, both are wired up with junky crimp terminals. During the cold winter the one remaining horn started to randomly stop working. Now, finally they've both stopped working.

Rather than go the 'boring' route and get an OEM replacement horn, what are some other interesting options for replacement?

I'd like to stay around $20 or so, so I realize this may limit my options. Maybe there's a junkyard, other-car-OEM option that will suit me as well?

Are you going for novelty like Dukes of Hazzard Dixie style or something louder? Because OEM horns from late 80's early 90's Buick/Oldsmobile's were definitely loud. I imagine the can be had at a junkyard for real cheap.

Find a 60's VW horn
grin2.gif

I'm thinking definitely something different, preferably louder... Not sure I want the VW sound.

I am a big fan of the loud Hella horns, but for ~$20, I'd go to Napa or your local auto parts store for a FIAMM or Wolo...look for the loudest db you can find. You may have to either make a jumper or add blade connectors if your car has a proprietary horn connector, most do.

Glad to hear (get the pun?) I'm not the only one who replaces anemic OE horns...

Last I checked, harbor freight has an air horn kit for around $15. I've gotten a few years out of each kit, and they are surprisingly powerful.

Maybe its a NY thing, but I find that the length of time the horn blows has a more meaningful impact than the decibel level.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
This is a bit of a first for me, so I'll ask around and see what the great minds of BITOG have to say on the subject.

Since I bought it almost 3 years ago, the horn on my Focus has sounded anemic. The first time I got under the car it became clear why. There are two aftermarket horns and one was smashed by a rock, both are wired up with junky crimp terminals. During the cold winter the one remaining horn started to randomly stop working. Now, finally they've both stopped working.

Rather than go the 'boring' route and get an OEM replacement horn, what are some other interesting options for replacement?

I'd like to stay around $20 or so, so I realize this may limit my options. Maybe there's a junkyard, other-car-OEM option that will suit me as well?

Lots of used horns on eBay … the GM horns of the 70’s - 80’s do blast … figure out if it’s the high or low you need or get a pair

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Last I checked, harbor freight has an air horn kit for around $15. I've gotten a few years out of each kit, and they are surprisingly powerful.

I like this idea. I see there is a 2-horn and 3-horn model for $15 and $20 respectively. Reviews say that the relay is a weak point, though. I wonder if the factory horn relay can be replaced with a more robust one or if it needs to be totally separate?

I'd ignore the aftermarket relay and connect the compressor direct to the factory wiring if you are just replacing the stuff on there now.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet

I like this idea. I see there is a 2-horn and 3-horn model for $15 and $20 respectively. Reviews say that the relay is a weak point, though. I wonder if the factory horn relay can be replaced with a more robust one or if it needs to be totally separate?

Yeah the relays in those kits are trash but they pull a lot of power and absolutely need a separate relay. Stock horn wiring will not handle the 20+ amps these kits pull. Get a decent relay, 40 amp fuse (auto-reset circuit breaker is even better), and use 12 gauge wiring for maximum safety and rage honk capability.

I run a Harbor Freight 2-horn kit and a Wolo 619 Big Bad Max, set up on a momentary time delay. Stock horn only at first, then air horn kicks on if I hold the button more than 0.3 seconds. Sounds like an angry train and really gets people's attention.

I think the old Caddy and Buick horns where actually 3 or 4 INDIVIDUAL horns and they had the NOTE they blew stamed on them. So play with your synth to find the sound you want and then go to the boneyard and gather them up.

There will be a lot of current expended so you may need a 10GA wire and a healthy relay rating to run 3 horns.

The world's junkyards are made for this kind of DIY parts hunting.

I will caution you on one thing, though. A loud horn is nice, but don't put a train horn on a KIA. Drivers who are startled by a horn will look around for the source and they equate tone with vehicle size; in other words if they're looking for a train, they won't see your KIA as the source of the honk, and might not see you at all. So keep the horn somewhat appropriate to the vehicle it's attached to.

Dual horns with musically-related tones sound the loudest and richest. So you don't really need a super horn. Luxury vehicles of roughly the same size as your car will generally have the best sounding horns, so seek out, say, BMWs at the wreckers for your donor horn(s) if you'r driving a compact import.

The power draw is mostly irrelevant provided the wiring to the horn on the relay side is adequate, as it's a temporary load so is not considered significant when sizing an electrical system.

Rain and other environmental contaminants are not good for horns, so don't mount it pointing outward right beside your fog lamps in the belief it will project better and louder; it probably will instead fail to sound when you need it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

I will caution you on one thing, though. A loud horn is nice, but don't put a train horn on a KIA. Drivers who are startled by a horn will look around for the source and they equate tone with vehicle size; in other words if they're looking for a train, they won't see your KIA as the source of the honk, and might not see you at all. So keep the horn somewhat appropriate to the vehicle it's attached to.

I respectfully disagree. Stock car horns are pathetically ineffective at higher speeds and typical cut off distances.

Lost count of how many times people have continued changing lanes on top of me or pulling out into my path until the air horn kicks on. Then they stop short because they finally hear it or realize that it would be a problem if they kept doing the stupid thing. The fact they aren't aware enough of your presence such that they are surprised and looking around for a different vehicle means that you better be loud enough to get through their thick skull that they are about to cause a wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back