Oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So mad at myself that I did not change out crush washer.
33.gif
18.gif

Got an extra 1/3 of a turn on drain plug

Hopefully the slightest trickle stops.

I used the same crush washer that came from the factory for 14 years on my Subaru and it never leaked a drop. It's not the end of the world.

Just curious, how can you tell you "got an extra 1/3 of a turn"?

I have reused many times when the washer looked perfect (like new) but I typically like to use a new one. You should be fine. Check for leak a few times ...

Edit:
Nevermind, looks like you have a leak?!

Last edited:
help prevent the pot holes out there, but also causes problems for drivers in the rain.

Another reason I've used a Fumoto valve on my truck. I haven't had to remove/reinstall a drain plug or crush washer on it in 16 years.
grin.gif

Seriously though, 80% of my reason for using a Fumoto valve is convenience. 20% is to keep from accidentally cross-threading or stripping the oil pan. I know chances are small if you're careful, but it happens.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Did you see his socket wrench?

Yep an old school bone wrench. I don't like them but some guys use them for oil changes, they work.

I normally use a 5/16 hex, used an 8mm and was able to get better torque and the bolt tightened up a bit more didn't move much less than a 1/4 turn

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Just use a shop vac and drain nothing, remove bolt, change washer and put it back in.

That's a very neat trick! I would have never thought of that thinking it may suck the oil out and ruin my vac ... lol

Mx5miata,
Did how did u fix the problem?

Last edited:
The vac trick is definitely something else. That extra bit of torque I got did the job, dry as a bone now. I will make sure I have a few crush washers on hand from now on.

Thanks again for sharing the vac trick.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just use a shop vac and drain nothing, remove bolt, change washer and put it back in.

I use that same trick when changing sensors in the cooling system, never spill a drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back