Truck burned our highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Section of the Great Western Goat-track was only just resurfaced, and a burning truck today destroyed a section of it.

Worse still, my wife had to have a 25 minute detour and was late for work.

Residents of the nearest town to it told me that there was a semi trailer hazmat unit going to it.

https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story...photos/#slide=1

Have a look at the video...amazing.

If he was carrying beer, that wouldn't of happened. I've been in a couple of trucks, both D Series Fords, when they got a short under the dash - 24V really lets go then.

Man, intense blaze there!
Hope the driver will be OK...

Our little street had just been fixed up when a house a few down from ours was struck by lightning and caught fire while the owners were away on vacation...luckily, another neighbor walking around the circle spotted it and called 911 right away. The road and shoulder all got torn up pretty badly by the heavy equipment used to battle the blaze and it didn't really get fixed for about 10 years, but you can't really complain too much about damage from the process of saving a house.

Last edited:
One Saturday a gasoline tanker caught fire and burned the road surface. The trucker was injured, but not badly. A couple hundred feet of road was involved, Come Monday, traffic as normal

Your local gov't built a road which couldn't stand the weight of the fire trucks etc.? I think that is something you can complain about.

Our roads and highways should be built "like the German" roads.
It's always bees said the German roads are deeper, stronger, longer lasting and therefore inarguably better AND CHEAPER.
And, if it ain't the Germans it's some other country....the point is the same.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Your local gov't built a road which couldn't stand the weight of the fire trucks etc.? I think that is something you can complain about.

No, I said the truck burned the road...

Bitumen, 5-600 litres of diesel, and a trailer full of burning cardboard that needed excavators to strip it off the trailer...onto the road to be put out...

I got it...I was speaking to the New Englander who's neighbor's house caught on fire.

I know a pile of burning material will effect things. Possibly a concrete road could withstand it better.

I got it...I was speaking to the New Englander who's neighbor's house caught on fire.

I know a pile of burning material will effect things. Possibly a concrete road could withstand it better.

That's why quoting who you are addressing goes a long ways.

The funny thing is that I tend to.

I don't use the "boxed quote" system. I'm the poster who writes, "Mr Soandso said, "blah, blah, blah...". Then I go right to my point or question.

What amuses me are the times when entire posts are boxed (including 20 large photographs) to ask one question.

I enjoyed how well the article was written. Here in the USA, the quality of writing in published journalism has decreased markedly, especially since the advent of the Internet.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

No, I said the truck burned the road...

Bitumen, 5-600 litres of diesel, and a trailer full of burning cardboard that needed excavators to strip it off the trailer...onto the road to be put out...

Road will just have to be redone.

More importantly nobody killed or seriously injured.

I will see your burned and raise you a crater.

Sept 1970 a tristate truck during teamster strike was shot with centerfire rifle. Truck was filled with explosives. The resulting crater in I44 highway was 50 feet wide, 75’ long and 25 feet deep. Windows in Springfield Mo over 12 miles away were broken. I do not know if the driver was ever found, not much left I fear. My cousin lived in republic and lost several windows, some stuff fell in the house and broke, and he found a piece of the truck. Drunks were aiming for the radiator and missed, so they said at their murder trials.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Section of the Great Western Goat-track was only just resurfaced, and a burning truck today destroyed a section of it.

Worse still, my wife had to have a 25 minute detour and was late for work.

Residents of the nearest town to it told me that there was a semi trailer hazmat unit going to it.

https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story...photos/#slide=1

Have a look at the video...amazing.

What was his cargo?

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I will see your burned and raise you a crater.

Sept 1970 a tristate truck during teamster strike was shot with centerfire rifle. Truck was filled with explosives. The resulting crater in I44 highway was 50 feet wide, 75’ long and 25 feet deep. Windows in Springfield Mo over 12 miles away were broken. I do not know if the driver was ever found, not much left I fear. My cousin lived in republic and lost several windows, some stuff fell in the house and broke, and he found a piece of the truck. Drunks were aiming for the radiator and missed, so they said at their murder trials.

Rod

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=DS19700930.2.28

44,000lb of dynamite.
crazy2.gif

We have a pretty narrow asphalt road with gravel or dirt shoulders...some of the damage was from the side supports some of the trucks deployed, like the stabilizers a crane uses. The worst damage was from the trucks getting their tires swamped in some of the loose shoulders and leaving the sides of the road unsupported where they seems to spin the tires hard to get out. I would guess the town thought the FD should take care of it, the FD figured it was up to the town, and the house owners in that area felt it wasn't their problem. The asphalt quickly crumbled in these areas and somebody dumped a bunch of larger gravel there a year or so after a lot of damage had already been done. My wife and other neighbors called the town to report/complain right after the fire, but the only way get work that is not part of "The Schedule" done is to have a family member on the town council or seriously threaten a lawsuit. I think some town functionary actually told my wife they would look at it when we were scheduled to get a resurfacing in ten years or so.
I think the road collapsing got so bad that we weren't really two lanes wide anymore and they dumped the rocks to avoid a lawsuit after a head on collision. This all got fixed with our resurfacing maybe 4-5 years ago. The contractor was kind enough to leave us a jagged gap between their apron and our driveway, but we got it filled in when we had driveway work done about a month later.
Semirural living has its downsides...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
Who is John Galt? Now I know
wink.gif

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nope, already paid for that road once, now paying for it again...

Although some of your electrically minded, green friends believe that tipping used engine oil on is and sprinkling gravel on it is exactly the same as asphalt roads. after all, it's black, oil based and came from underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back