What!? You change your own oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a conversation with one of the MB service writers at one of the area dealers and asked about the cost of “Service A” and what it entails (I can see it coming due in the dash monitor). Basically, it is an oil and filter change and various checks, but nothing major for the low cost of $300.

Then he said, but you have nothing to worry about until you hit 10,000 miles when the first Service A is due. Yeah, about that, I would never go 10K on factory fill in any car, much less a twin turbo. I changed the oil myself at 1,600 miles and again at 4,400 to remove all of the break-in metals.

What!? You changed the oil yourself?

Oh, the horror! I said, it is not rocket science dude, what is the big deal?

I have never heard of any MB owner changing their own oil.

I just shook my head and thanked him for his time.

So fellow Euro car owners, what is the big deal? Why the surprise? I see no problem changing my own oil and saving about $265 per OC.

What do you guys do?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
So fellow Euro car owners, what is the big deal? Why the surprise? I see no problem changing my own oil and saving about $265 per OC.
Yup. When wife had her '08 C300, I would do most of the oil changes on it. It was super easy with an extractor and filter up top. I do the same with my old 530i as well.

The Q5 goes to the dealer for oil changes because we have AudiCare.

back in 2007 I was dating this girl and she got a 2000 ML320. It was due for one of the services and cost almost $400 or $500. when I got the paper work it seems they basically changed the oil and tested the battery. After that I told her to take it to my indy who changed $99 I think. I don't know why I didn't change it. I changed my own oil in my 420sel at the time. The dealer was right about the battery though. It tested bad and went kaput not long after.

You should have zipped your lip, accepted the Mercedes branded cup of Kool-Aid with a smile and tossed it over your shoulder when he looked away.

They needn't know about the early OCIs.

My neighbor can't believe I hand wash the car, somehow he hasn't caught me changing oil yet.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
You should have zipped your lip, accepted the Mercedes branded cup of Kool-Aid with a smile and tossed it over your shoulder when he looked away.

They needn't know about the early OCIs.
They still do not know; not my dealer, did not mention my name, and was not in either MB.
wink.gif

Service writers aren't hired because they relate to people who change their own oil, not even at a Kia or Mitsubishi dealer. He was surprised because most people want to know where their loaner is, or want him to hurry up so they can go to the Edgar's bakery or whatever.

$300 for an A service?!?! I would violate the HOA rules in my complex and topside the oil change on my '09 C300 to avoid a $300 A service. The dealers in Atlanta run A service at $129 and independents that are a bit more of a drive you can get them as low as $99 but not worth the drive 1-1.5 hour round trip drive to save $30.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Question. Wouldn't your oil filter catch the break-in metal slivers anyway?
Apparently not all of them based upon the pearlescent shimmer in the oil when swirled in the sunlight. Both cars did this, so not a fluke, but not sure how relevant it is.

I think its funny the absolute disdain the service guys have for owners who do their own work. Doesn't bother me, I sell parts to both. Plus if the customer isn't a complete jerk I will print out the section of the shop manual for them.

2015_PSD it's your vehicle. CHange the oil whenever it pleases you sir!

I'm old school. Pop taught me how to change oil around 12. I know a handful of Millenials and none of them change their own oil. Nor do they want to learn. They prefer to let someone else get their hands dirty. I'm sure there are a bunch of exceptions. I hope!

We live in a time of a disposable economy. Nothing is made to last. Unless you make it yourself.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Changing oil, for me, is a religious experience.

Exactly. When I'm done I "know" it's right, every fluid is ok and I've looked at everything under the car/truck that needs looking at.

Originally Posted By: Pajero

2015_PSD it's your vehicle. CHange the oil whenever it pleases you sir!

I'm old school. Pop taught me how to change oil around 12. I know a handful of Millenials and none of them change their own oil. Nor do they want to learn. They prefer to let someone else get their hands dirty. I'm sure there are a bunch of exceptions. I hope!

We live in a time of a disposable economy. Nothing is made to last. Unless you make it yourself.

Respectfully,

Pajero!
Sounds like older people and not knowing how to setup a wireless router or work on their own computer.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Changing oil, for me, is a religious experience.

Me too, I read the bible while the Valvoline tech is changing my oil behind the waiting room window.

Sign of the times I guess. Differently level of owner here and this involves a GM dealership, but the idea is the same. Had an issue with my GMC Denali where the high pressure fuel pump had a seal rupture and it began to dump gas into the crankcase. I caught it as the oil level began to rise on the dipstick and of course had a gasoline smell. The dealer actually asked me, "how did you figure this out?" I told him I routinely check the oil level like I was taught by my dad when I started driving. He looked at me like I had two heads.....An owner who looked after his own stuff.

Luckily I caught it very early and there doesn't appear to be any long term damage. Replaced fuel pump and have had no ill effects, usage, burning, change in level in 5k of driving since. Here's to BITOG "OCD" behaviors! Thanks dad!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back