Magnefine Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a Magnefine (from Oz) leak - it was my second - the first one really cleaned the metal from the system - not so much with the leaker. Then went to Derale+spin on XG16 ... but on the last change added a MagneFilter to spin on ... don't think in-lines can beat that combo (behind a TruCool LPD) ...

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
.......will begin making their updated filter case out of metal with a new design ..........They said it would be the end of April before that happened........

Sounds interesting. Maybe the new metal case will have a replaceable
filter element?

Could be. But given how cheap these have been in the past (under $20), I'd rather replace the entire unit (and have in the past). I've had these installed on over 5 cars over 10+ years and never had one leak.

I've been looking into auxiliary/external ATF filters for the last week or so (new-to-me vehicle with non-replaceable "window screen" internal filter). I noticed Magnefine's website claiming new filter due at the end of April... Does anyone have any info on this? I was considering the aluminum one because I have read complaints about leaks on the plastic ones, but I can wait 2-3 weeks if there's something worth waiting for.

A filter head that takes a spin on filter is a much better value and filter than a Magnefine.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I've been in contact with Magnefine's US based sales group. They stopped production and are moving their production to the States and will begin making their updated filter case out of metal with a new design due to cheap Chinese knockoffs. In the meantime, they are sourcing the Filtran filter to their customers until the production source is back up and running. They said it would be the end of April before that happened.

I'm not in need of a filter at the moment, so I'd be glad to wait until the new product is available.

I was referring to this post^^

https://www.magnefinefilters.com

I used Magnefine 2003 Honda Accord and transmission lasted longer than engine was close to 300000. I put one in that car because Honda just had a wimpy mesh screen and no real transmission filter. It was the four cylinder which had more reliable transmissions than the six cylinder but felt it was cheap insurance.

ATP sells a magnefine reboxed filter also.. We have a few at work.. I think part number is JX 150 howver they say Reybestos on them but seem to be the same.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Throw away your leaky and bad filtering Magnifines. This is the BEST trans filter on the market under $50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJxzO8nqz8

See this one too! A correction on the above vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW0WqeiWoG0

This is the only place to get them, he is the only distributor for NTZ in the USA.

http://www.russellautoinc.com/about-us/why.aspx

Like the design and 15 um filtering. Looks like good equipment!

Those videos are misleading and not useful,though, with the guy claiming they are "2 micron" and then screwing up describing the bypass operation.

Don't like having only one source to buy them, especially when they don't clearly list the price on the site. That outfit doesn't look like mail order is anything close to their primary business. I am leery of the customer service in those situations because in my experience with outfits like that, they do well will the face to face customers but the mail order customers are often "hind mammary," if you get my drift. They may be a fine biz but without a track record in mail order???? They don't even list that they sell them mail order that I could find, so do you have to call, or what?

"Leaky and bad filtering" is an overly broad and not particularly accurate statement about Magnefines. Yes, some have leaked and that's not good. The majority have not leaked. Also, what's "bad filtering?" It's great that there's a higher efficiency inline out there but the 30 um MF is a vast improvement over the pan filter, so describing it as "bad" is not particularly accurate. Plus, for many years, the MF was the readily available alternative of this type. It served us well and deserves a bit more respect. And now they have an all-metal replacement.

FWIW: I recently installed the new style all metal Magnefine 3/8" filter on my '12 Kia Optima. Very nice unit and the build quality (external view) is very good. I unscrewed (with a good amount of persuasion) my old plastic Magnefine filter and inspected it after ~30K miles. I was very impressed with the internal build quality. I has a little metal "mush" on the magnet and nothing that I could see with the naked eye on the filter media.

https://www.magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Mag...AiABEgLX2_D_BwE

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: Mainia
Throw away your leaky and bad filtering Magnifines. This is the BEST trans filter on the market under $50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJxzO8nqz8

See this one too! A correction on the above vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW0WqeiWoG0

This is the only place to get them, he is the only distributor for NTZ in the USA.

http://www.russellautoinc.com/about-us/why.aspx

Like the design and 15 um filtering. Looks like good equipment!

Those videos are misleading and not useful,though, with the guy claiming they are "2 micron" and then screwing up describing the bypass operation.

Don't like having only one source to buy them, especially when they don't clearly list the price on the site. That outfit doesn't look like mail order is anything close to their primary business. I am leery of the customer service in those situations because in my experience with outfits like that, they do well will the face to face customers but the mail order customers are often "hind mammary," if you get my drift. They may be a fine biz but without a track record in mail order???? They don't even list that they sell them mail order that I could find, so do you have to call, or what?

"Leaky and bad filtering" is an overly broad and not particularly accurate statement about Magnefines. Yes, some have leaked and that's not good. The majority have not leaked. Also, what's "bad filtering?" It's great that there's a higher efficiency inline out there but the 30 um MF is a vast improvement over the pan filter, so describing it as "bad" is not particularly accurate. Plus, for many years, the MF was the readily available alternative of this type. It served us well and deserves a bit more respect. And now they have an all-metal replacement.

You are way over thinking this, the only reason this guy is the only place in town is because he help design and test this for NTZ. They run from $28 to $22+ if you buy 5 or more. This filter media is the same that Ford F250-F450 used (NTZ media) before Ford did major cost cutting in 2009 and stopped using this filter when the economy dive bombed. You call them up and order them and 5 days later you have a better filter then a magnifine, case closed.

On my XJ I have a magnefine and after 30k miles I switched it out to the new metal one and took apart the old plastic one. The filter was very clean and it had picked up ferrous particles on the magnet.

I'm running a Magnefine filter on my Jeep Cherokee with AW4 transmission which doesn't really have a transmission filter instead it uses a screen which isn't even part of the service schedule. The AW4 transmission screen is noted to be replace only if you doing some repair work on the transmission otherwise according to Jeep there's no scheduled maintenance for the screen.

So when I replaced all of the ATF on the XJ with some Amsoil ATF. I added a Magnefine filter and picked several more for around $10.00 each.

I have another Jeep ZJ with a 42RE transmission by it actually has a transmission filter that suppose to be periodically replaced. I'm uncertain if I need to add an external filter to a 42RE on a Jeep ZJ? I don't stress the ZJ with a 4.0L out much mostly on road pavement driving. It has one of those 4WD all the time NP239 transfers cases, which are OK but think I would prefer a NP231 or NP242 select Trac.

I don't know how much good would an external atf filter do for a ZJ with a 42RE transmission, prolong it's life?

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I use a Wix 33033 / Fram G15 filter...

15 micron, 3/8 fitting, under $4...

How often do you change it and thank you for that information...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back