Few teaspoons of some other lube won't be a prob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATF_1000.jpg

I use this fluid changer with the 3 quart bottle for filling differentials and transmissions. When using a different fluid I'll clean out the bottle with paper towels and will flush the hose the other fluid but there will always be residue from the previous fluid. Like going from Toyota IV transmission fluid to 75W140 gear oil. Will a teaspoon or two in 3 quarts be an issue?

flush each time before use with the fluid you are getting ready to use to get rid of the extra teaspoons of contaminant.

I would not want gear oil in my automatic trans.

I doubt it will make any difference, but you might want to consider getting another one for peace of mind.

Or find a way to clean it, I would try flushing it with alcohol but that's not really a tool that I would want to flush with alcohol all the time.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
flush each time before use with the fluid you are getting ready to use to get rid of the extra teaspoons of contaminant.

I would not want gear oil in my automatic trans.

This was my first thought. Gear oil in the trans, power steering fluid in the power brake lines.. or vice/versa...
33.gif

I have one I use only for ATF for filling my transfer cases, I wouldn't mix fluids, even a few ounces. I agree the last thing I'd want is gear oil in an automatic transmission. I'd have one dedicated for gear oil only, one for ATF, etc.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Isn't going to matter as long as it's all clean.

.................................most of the time

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Isn't going to matter as long as it's all clean.

.................................most of the time

Sure. Can you give an example of when a few teaspoons of residual oil would have a negative effect on the larger component oil?

Pump some warm water with some dish soap through it. Should get out [censored] near all of the old fluid. Maybe there will be a couple of molecules left over, but that's no big deal.

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed
Pump some warm water with some dish soap through it. Should get out [censored] near all of the old fluid. Maybe there will be a couple of molecules left over, but that's no big deal.

So you'd rather have water and soap mixed with your oil instead of oil mixed with your oil? :screwy:

So you'd rather have water and soap mixed with your oil instead of oil mixed with your oil? :screwy:

Well I would hope he would continue to flush it with warm water after doing the soap flush to get the soap out of there!

Well I would hope he would continue to flush it with warm water after doing the soap flush to get the soap out of there!

So you'd rather have water mixed with your oil instead of oil mixed with your oil? :screwy:

Seriously - oil is oil. A few oz isn't going to hurt anything, as long as it is all clean.

Personally with any petroleum product the leftover would not matter to me on my vehicles. Maybe if I had something really picky that took a very specific fluid, but I don't. A few drips of gear oil aren't going to hurt my automatic trans or anything else.

I would probably clear it out between uses with a light solvent, diesel or even gasoline, let it drip dry, and reuse for petroleum products. I would use a different one for non petroleum uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back