Disposal of used oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do the oil change places, mechanic shops, and dealers dispose of their used oil filters? Is it sent to a hazardous waste disposal, junk yard, or does someone pick it up for recycling? Could anyone share the fees associated with disposing of the old filters?

Behind the Hyundai-VW dealer here they have a specific dumpster that contains nothing but used oil filters. With a big warning sign stating not to put anything else in there. Kind of cool looking in there, eh.

Originally Posted By: Donald
It probably varies state by state. I give used oil to local indy, they use it for heating.

This thread is about used filters. Used oil is easy to get rid of.

If you have an O Reilly's nearby they take them for free... That's where I take mine now.

Cut them open, let them drain, use the can & base plate for scrap, burn the media as a wood stove fire starter. Pull the center tube out of the ash & scrap that too!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Cut them open, let them drain, use the can & base plate for scrap, burn the media as a wood stove fire starter. Pull the center tube out of the ash & scrap that too!

You read my mind:)

I give the old oil from filters to a metalcasting friend as he fires with waste motor oil. If i am lazy i just crush the filter at work
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

My dad throws them in his owb and only ever retrieves the baseplate in the ash. Everything else is gone.

At my shop I pay for waste filters to get disposed of, most of what the disposal fee covers. Usually around 85$ for a 55 gallon drum pickup full of filters.

I just throw mine in the trash. When I worked at a shop we sent ours to a recycling place, that place is no longer in business though which is why I just toss mine in the trash when I change my oil. I take my used oil to the parts store, they take it for free but not filters.

Originally Posted By: Audios
At my shop I pay for waste filters to get disposed of, most of what the disposal fee covers. Usually around 85$ for a 55 gallon drum pickup full of filters.

This was the info I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back