Generation 5 Runner transfer case fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I am wandering what some of you have used in the transfer case. I have read after 2012 you shouldn't put 75w90 in the transfer case. I know of the toyota 75w transfer case oil. Ravenol makes a 75w oil I was thinking of using that. Before I do anything I usually read lots of posts on BITOG. I have a 2014 4Runner. Thanks for any input you have had good success with.

Where to start ... short version of my research:

Toyota's fluid is $75 per quart. No go in my opinion.

Something about the earlier versions of off the shelf differential oil being better/closer than current generation because of additive package.

Plenty of opinions online; mine is that the TC is a set of gears and a chain...

Bottom line from what I've read is that most guys on the 4Runner and FJ sites are using the same as in the differentials, same as they always have, with no problems or failures reported. I'll be using Amsoil severe gear when I get to my diffs in a month or two.

Ravenol's website lists their 75W gear oil as appropriate for your truck (mine, too, by the way). Amazon has it for about $17/QT. Capacity on my truck is 1.5 QT.

I actually plan to drain and fill the TC on my Tundra today. It's had a synthetic 75W90 (AMSOIL severe gear) in it for a few thousand miles. I'll report back on what I see when that's done.

I also bought a magnetic drain plug for the TC - Toyota puts one on each of the differentials, but they don't on this transfer case.

$75/qt? Nope nope nope. Ravenol at $17/qt is still high but u only need 2 qts and won’t have to change it again for a while, so that’s what I would use

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
Does a friction modifier need to be added?

For the part time TC, no... not sure about the full time.

Thanks for the Ravenol tip Astro, I'll have to look into it and will watch for your report on the Severe Gear...

First off x-case and differentials are dumb mechanical components and a respectable synthetic 75W90/75W110 should suffice.

No UOA on the Severe Gear, but it came out clean, and the transfer case has been shifting normally.

I think you're fine with any decent gear oil, and, that this transfer case specification, like the 0W20 engine oil specification, it's driven by factors internal to the company, and not by performance in the field.

Here’s the Ravenol on my shelf, right next to some Fuchs 75W.

The Fuchs is going in today.

Big shout out to JHZR2 - who gave me the Fuchs.

The magnetic drain plug that I had previously purchased to go with the Fuchs is the wrong size...rats....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Hey I am wandering what some of you have used in the transfer case. I have read after 2012 you shouldn't put 75w90 in the transfer case. I know of the toyota 75w transfer case oil. Ravenol makes a 75w oil I was thinking of using that. Before I do anything I usually read lots of posts on BITOG. I have a 2014 4Runner. Thanks for any input you have had good success with.

Where did you see that you can't use 75w-90 after 2012? I'm a 4th gen guy but dont recall seeing anything about this or any major changes that would mandate this.

PS - I use Amsoil or Redline for Diffs, tranny and transfer case

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt

Where did you see that you can't use 75w-90 after 2012? I'm a 4th gen guy but dont recall seeing anything about this or any major changes that would mandate this.

PS - I use Amsoil or Redline for Diffs, tranny and transfer case

Where did YOU see that he can?

Toyota changed suppliers on the transfer case. Your six year old truck carries a different specification than his (or mine). It's been a big topic of discussion on Toyota forums.

Even on BITOG, it's been previously discussed. For example, here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3866664/all/75W_transmission_oil

Check out the Toyota oil can. "75W".

Check out a VOA on that oil here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4389571/Toyota_Transfer_Gear_Oil_75W_V

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, this 75W fluid is new to me. Well you are on the right forum for the right answers though mine was wrong.
Apparently the newer specs call specifically for this new specification.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Pardon my ignorance, this 75W fluid is new to me. Well you are on the right forum for the right answers though mine was wrong.
Apparently the newer specs call specifically for this new specification.

I personally think you were right the first time. I don't think that there's anything wrong with a 75W90 in this particular application. But that's my personal belief and it contradicts the owners manual.

I think Toyota has reasons for this specification known only to Toyota.

Since I can't prove my belief, however, I'm playing it safe and filling my transfer case with a 75W oil.

The Fuchs will get a run.

Then the Ravenol.

I'm just glad I found the Ravenol on Amazon...the dealership price is insane...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I personally think you were right the first time. I don't think that there's anything wrong with a 75W90 in this particular application. But that's my personal belief and it contradicts the owners manual.

I think Toyota has reasons for this specification known only to Toyota.

Since I can't prove my belief, however, I'm playing it safe and filling my transfer case with a 75W oil.

The Fuchs will get a run.

Then the Ravenol.

I'm just glad I found the Ravenol on Amazon...the dealership price is insane...

The one and only reason I hazard to guess is FE, aka CAFE, as optimisation so say the OEM.
But I interpret the shift as a compromise of components longevity.
At the end of the day, there is no such thing as correct viscosity (grade) in a gear train.

Last edited:
I suspect that it's CAFE as well, but I've got nothing concrete to back that up. It's ironic if Toyota cares about CAFE on a 5,500# truck that is EPA rated at 13/17 MPG. How much is that transfer case saving? I've noticed absolutely no difference with a 75W90 in it...

As far as service interval, Toyota says:

"Inspect" front and rear differential fluid every 15,000 miles.

"Inspect" transfer case fluid every 30,000 miles.

I'm more of a change the fluid every 30,000 miles, or immediately if you've submerged the component (deep stream crossing, etc.).

Last edited:
I Finally got around to changing the transfer case fluid. I put the Ravenol 75w in. The differentials got Mobil1 75w90.. when it's zero degrees outside and snowing I will find out if the new Ravenol fluid works.

Originally Posted by live_to_hunt
I Finally got around to changing the transfer case fluid. I put the Ravenol 75w in. The differentials got Mobil1 75w90.. when it's zero degrees outside and snowing I will find out if the new Ravenol fluid works.

That day would be...today...right?

In the coldest weather I've had the Tundra since the change, which was Vermont earlier this year, at 15F it was just fine. Going into/out of 4WD, as well as shifting.

And the same terrible MPG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back