35mm Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you think I might find 35mm film in a brick and mortar store these days?

The best bet is probably a camera shop. I haven't paid attention in years, but maybe Wal-Mart or Target would still carry some, or a drugstore with a photo department.

Why?

I have 3 nice classic SRL in a box in the basement.

I wish someone made an affordable digital back for some of them - at least the Nikon FM2.

- edit Oh I just recalled I sold that when guys were grabbing up films cameras at the dawn of the CMOS sensor age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Ive spotted Fuji 400 iso C41 at Walmart.near the laptops

You can buy KODAK Ecktachrome 100G.

I wouldn't bother with a Fuji 400. Just use Digital for point and shoot throwaway.

OP: If you do B&W you can process it at home.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Anything with ---chrome is slide film.

I don't see a need for negative print film in noisy color speeds.

I am in the middle of scanning old photos. Many are black n white, some of which are quite sharp, even after 50 years. Scanning them at 600 DPI is not enough to capture the resolution. That brings to mind the actual resolution of the negatives. It must have been quite good in it's day.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I am in the middle of scanning old photos. Many are black n white, some of which are quite sharp, even after 50 years. Scanning them at 600 DPI is not enough to capture the resolution. That brings to mind the actual resolution of the negatives. It must have been quite good in it's day.

Yes, you need somewhere in the neighborhood of 4800 dpi optical (not interpolated) for a good 35mm scan. In the day those scanners were very expensive, you can get ones for a reasonable price now. We had a liquid coupled film scanner at a place I worked at in the 90s that was extremely expensive.

Film was not rated in dpi it is lines per inch (lpi) or another value, and that depended on the film and on the ASA rating. The lower the ASA the higher the lpi for a given film. Some films had extremely fine grains and had correspondingly very high lpi ratings.

B&W film by its nature is fine grain and is quite stable over time due to the absence of dye couplers. The most stable color transparencies are Kodachrome as long as it is kept in the dark. Most properly stored Kodachrome slides will keep very good color rendition in excess of 100 years.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Ive spotted Fuji 400 iso C41 at Walmart.near the laptops

Just where do you propose buying that, outside of Ebay or private deals?

If you want a slide film, Fuji Provia 100F is probably the best general purpose film on the market. Velvia 50 is great if you want punchy colors.

I actually prefer E100GX, which is even harder to find these days than E100G. I just bought a 5 roll box of 220(2012 ex) out of another photographer's freezer, and paid close to $100 for it... I like the E100 generation films for their wonderfully neutral reproduction, tight grain, and scanning ease. I still overall prefer Velvia for MY photography, though.

BTW, Kodak IS bringing back Ektachrome. The new film will be called E100, and I've assumed all along that they're either going for a clone of E100G or will do what they did when they did when the simplified the Portra line and "split the difference" between E100G and E100GX(E100GX has a somewhat warmer color balance than E100G). They leaked some sample images on Friday, and unfortunately they look like trash-the color pallet and contrast are somewhat reminiscent of Kodachrome, but with the saturation of Fuji Astia and skin tones like...welll...I can't think of a film that bad. The contrast thing worries me, as both Kodachrome and Velvia do/did require you to nail the exposure dead on while Provia and Ektachrome tended to be a bit more forgiving and also be a little less contrasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back