Which one would be a better beginner bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas,

Sorry if it's been discussed to death in this forum. I just wanted to get some information about motorcycles. I'm totally new, although I am an experienced cyclist (if that makes any difference). Of course, I searched upon Google and everybody says different things.

I am going to get my M2 license with MSF course next month, and looking for used motorcycle and brand new gear.

I am 29 years old, 6'1 and 220 lbs. I am looking for naked, enduro/adventure or maybe a cruiser bike. I am not looking for a race bike, as my priority is not going fast. At first, I was looking for a bike under 400cc, like KTM Duke 390, but salesperson told me that would be too small for my size. Now looking for slightly bigger bikes.

Some of my alternatives are (used or new, but it must have ABS),

Honda CB500 (F or X) or NC700/750
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Honda Rebel 500 (it's technically a cruiser, but it's like hybrid)

I really like the design of new Kawasaki Z650 and Yamaha FZ07/XSR700 but I hesitate if those bikes would be too much for a beginner.

My budget is $9-10k including gear. I don't mind spending $1000-1500+ for gear, as safety comes first. Do you think which bike on the list above is better for a beginner? If you have any other alternative not on the list, I look forward to hear that too.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

The 500cc bikes will quickly be 'too small'
and would likely be 'buzzy' at highway speeds.
Depending on the size of the rider, the other
choices all seem fine.

My 2¢

If you aren't planning on going offroad, I would by inclined to suggest the Rebel from your list.

I don't know of the ergonomics of the 390 Duke, but I doubt it would be too small for you. A 390 is certainly not too small for a beginner if the implication was the engine would be under-powered.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

I really like the design of new Kawasaki Z650 and Yamaha FZ07/XSR700 but I hesitate if those bikes would be too much for a beginner.

Too much in what way? Too big and heavy or too much motor? Anything on your list is too much for a new rider if you pin it at the wrong time.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
If you aren't planning on going offroad, I would by inclined to suggest the Rebel from your list.

I don't know of the ergonomics of the 390 Duke, but I doubt it would be too small for you. A 390 is certainly not too small for a beginner if the implication was the engine would be under-powered.

Not planning on going offroad at all. Rebel 500 looks really cool in my opinion. Although it is hard to find used one, as everybody buys Ninja 250/300 as a beginner bike.

I meant overall size of Duke is small, according to the salesperson.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Too much in what way? Too big and heavy or too much motor? Anything on your list is too much for a new rider if you pin it at the wrong time.

Less forgiving, too much horsepower and throttle response, and easy to do "unwanted" wheelies (which I wouldn't prefer)

You will adapt to the "power" but it can definitely take some getting used to. I grew up riding dirt bikes, got my motorcycle license (endorsement) when I was 17 and then when I was in my late-20s, took a rider safety course. The bikes they provided were either 125cc or 250cc. A couple people had trouble with those, including one who popped the clutch, rolled the throttle open, and drove herself into a chainlink fence (didn't get hurt but she dropped out of the class after that happened). Another guy was there to LEARN how to ride a motorcycle because he had bought a brand-new Harley-Davidson fat-boy or something -- 1300cc engine and all ! It was sitting at the dealer waiting for him to be able to ride it home.

If you get a small and "safe" engine-size bike, I guess it will depend on WHERE you ride. If you're just riding on side streets, simple 2-lanes, and so on, something smaller will be okay as you'd never use the extra power much anyway. If you ride for 15, 30 minutes, etc on major highways, maintaining 60+ mph, a small bike will get annoying real quick.

That KTM really looks like a short-length cafe-style bike and at 6'1", I could see it being a bit cramped. The CB500F is similar to the KTM, at least in riding position but the CB500X is more upright so it will likely be more comfortable. A 500cc engine is plenty powerful enough too, especially for an absolute beginner ! Any of the other bikes would probably be similar to the Honda just with bigger, more powerful engines.

As the saying goes, buy a cheap bike and quality comfortable safety gear that you want to wear. I would absolutely recommend an older V Strom. They routinely last for over 100,000miles, are very cheap to maintain and insure. They can handle poorly paved back roads (and knobbies) though the suspension will leave a little to be desired in the sirt.

The FZ6 from Yamaha is another more street oriented option which really is an underrated bike.

The FZ7 is a newer generation bike however they come in at a higher price and I'd argue that 700+ CC is probably overkill.

The bonus to the used V Strom or FZ6 is that you're not going to loose much money when its time to upgrade as most will already be depreciated.

Find a used bike with ABS. Not braking correctly can get you killed. You also need enough acceleration to get away when needed. Narrow and lower weight are a good thing. Vstrom 650 covers all those bases, so will a Kawasaki Versis and the Kawasaki has lower resale.

Have someone check chain and sprocket condition. Look for motor case cracks where the chain goes in, sometime a chain will come off and do major damage. Check for bent shifter and foot brake even low speed drops can bend things. Replacing the shifter shaft can be expensive.

Rod

I have a buddy who has a Versys 650 as a second bike. He bought it new when it was 2 years old, with 0 miles on it, and got a very good deal.

He rides it when he doesn't want to be on his Goldwing. One should be able to find one brand new (but a year or two old) for less than $6k.

500cc or less is not going to be enough.

My first motorcycle was a single cylinder BMW F650GS. I don’t feel it was “too much” at all. Although a more modern 650 is probably a good-bit faster.

Last edited:
Perfect time to be on a motorcycle, some excellent deals out there within your budget(which is very good).

Yamaha FZ07 is an appealing one. NC700 is excellent as a commuter and can be called a sewing machine
smile.gif

No matter what you decide, ride safe and have fun.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

I definitely agree, KTM 390 is a lot of fun.

Go out and sit on a few of them and see which ones you like the most; comfort and ergonomics wise.

Originally Posted By: ad244
As the saying goes, buy a cheap bike and quality comfortable safety gear that you want to wear. I would absolutely recommend an older V Strom. They routinely last for over 100,000miles, are very cheap to maintain and insure. They can handle poorly paved back roads (and knobbies) though the suspension will leave a little to be desired in the sirt.

The FZ6 from Yamaha is another more street oriented option which really is an underrated bike.

The FZ7 is a newer generation bike however they come in at a higher price and I'd argue that 700+ CC is probably overkill.

The bonus to the used V Strom or FZ6 is that you're not going to loose much money when its time to upgrade as most will already be depreciated.

Excellent advice...
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ad244

Just reinforcing that you need to wear a full set of motorcycle gear when you ride. (Helmet, Jacket, boots, gloves, riding pants.)

I'm 5'8", 145lbs.
Throw gear on and:
my thoughts on the cb500 was "forgiving" and "capable of highway" (but I wouldn't say you have more umph than a corolla at those speeds, so "forward-moving" control is limited.) By design, the 500 is extremely low maintenance. Forgiving in maintenance and parts is good on the pocket, as well as building confidence that you won't majorly botch it learning good rider controls.

That being said, you are much heavier and taller than I am, which makes me urge you to go after a bike with more umph. I think that any of the other three would be better. Nods are given for both more power and weight when talking the weestrom. Nods are given to less flicking inertia to fight when talking the NC700x.

If I were in your shoes, the next thing I would look at and consider is the maintenance costs/intervals, how to do them (some are a pain, others less so), and the cost for damage-able parts--in the event of a drop. Also consider the price of guards, which I strongly support. It's nice to be able to drive your bike away from a meager spill with just scrapes, and not have to figure out how to zip tie plastic back together or fit it in whatever storage you have on you.

The 650s in any flavor is where serious power starts to happen. Remember this most important safety rule when riding regardless what you may think you never ever have the right of way. The 4 wheelers are only on the road for 1 reason and that is to kill you. M/C are fun. Be careful and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
750cc

+1
Already getting tired of the 650 I have. Wishing I held out for a liter bike given my throttle control.
Highway riding is a chore
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back