Will I need torque wrench to do strut bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Time for new struts,98 buick lesabre.I've done struts,before,never used a torque wrench. Watching some YouTube vids last night, front struts,they used a big torque wrench,for the 2 bolts,bottom end of struts. 140 ft.lbs. I figured,use use a breaker bar, socket,and tighten till it won't tighten no more. Would that work,or torque wrench mandatory?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I figured,use use a breaker bar, socket,and tighten till it won't tighten no more. Would that work,or torque wrench mandatory?

140 ft.lb isn't as much as you think, you can easily put over 250 ft.lb on a 24" breaker bar. Use a TW, experienced feel has its place ham fisted does not.

I've done struts before,no issues...just made me think,what if,you know? I've always used a breaker bar,socket,tighten till it won't tighten anymore,than give a good 1/4 too half turn..

If they are pinch bolts just crank them with the breaker bar, or impact. A few impact pulses probably puts it around there? Rust will help keep it tight, lol.

What you should really have the TW for is the nut on top of the strut that connects it to the strut mount. On my car, you need special tools to torque it. I never do and feel guilty afterwards.

Last edited:
I recommend impacting to spec, which means holding down the trigger until the bolt stops turning.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I recommend impacting to spec, which means holding down the trigger until the bolt stops turning.
wink.gif

Exactly one brap.

But in all seriousness, use a torque wrench.

It's the bottom 2 bolts,not the top end ones,front of struts. Oh!those 2 boltd..are they also,the camber bolts? Be also known as clevis bolts.might wanna get 4 new ones.

AZ, Advanced, or O'Reilly's has loaners you can use for free.
Check back on my previous posts to see how you can validate calibration with a bench vise and free weight.

There is no reason not to do this right.

Better than attacking it with a breaker bar till it wont go any tighter or it breaks and he ends up on his arse breaker bar, socket, broken bolt and all.

Those bottom bolts are massively huge, way bigger than lug studs. I give them serious beans. If you have camber slots in your new struts the friction/clamping force of those bolts is the only thing holding your alignment kosher.

Break them loose with your breaker bar and develop the muscle memory of that event.

Yeah...well,I figured, do the struts,and since it's gun na need an alignment,the shop,is gun na loosen those 4 bolts anyways,after I've removed them,a d re tighten,without a torque,too re align,then retorque.I'm doing the struts myself,save money...

Last edited:
Next time, hang around in a real shop doing the suspension work. Come back here and tell us how many mechanics actual used torque wrench to torque these bolts.

If you find more than handful of places using torque wrenches, I will eat my shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back