Collinite #845

I know that much has been said about Collinite #845 Insolator wax but I just wanted to mention that every year I either buy into some other new wax, car polish or sealant from either some advertising or someone recommending something new to me. This year I decided I'm not going to buy any new product and went to my car finish product shelf full of half used stuff and decided I would try my 5 year old bottle of Collinite #845. All I can say is I really did not need to try anything new every year the "845" really works great and I think I'm just going to stick with it from now on it goes on easy comes off easy shines good enough and last longer then most other stuff I have tried.

I guess I'll finally buy a bottle of this stuff online, and try it.

Hoping it won't be a total disappointment, like when I listened to people here about how good Michelin tires are.

They aren't.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Collinite #845 is a very good and dependable product.

I know it has a good reputation as a protection product. Many reviews seem to be positive.

That said...there are plenty of other products at a lesser price point that also provide outstanding protection while giving much better shine/finish results.

Here's just one of several comparison images on the web provided as an example:

Single Application comparison

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

I know it has a good reputation as a protection product. Many reviews seem to be positive.

That said...there are plenty of other products at a lesser price point that also provide outstanding protection while giving much better shine/finish results.

The thread is about Collinite.

The thread is about Collinite.

DUH. Comparing it / reviewing it is a normal aspect of evaluating any product.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I know that much has been said about Collinite #845 Insolator wax but I just wanted to mention that every year I either buy into some other new wax, car polish or sealant from either some advertising or someone recommending something new to me. This year I decided I'm not going to buy any new product and went to my car finish product shelf full of half used stuff and decided I would try my 5 year old bottle of Collinite #845. All I can say is I really did not need to try anything new every year the "845" really works great and I think I'm just going to stick with it from now on it goes on easy comes off easy shines good enough and last longer then most other stuff I have tried.

I have used Collinite 845 for likely over 10 yrs now, and like you, I have a shelf full of other stuff that will likely never get used again.

You will be hard pressed to find one of these cheaper waxes that will protect as good and as long as Collinite 845. I have used many others over the years, trust me, and nothing compares to the longevity of 845.

As far as shine goes, maybe, but the differences are negligible imo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

You will be hard pressed to find one of these cheaper waxes that will protect as good and as long as Collinite 845. I have used many others over the years, trust me, and nothing compares to the longevity of 845.

I suspect that's endlessly debatable. Both Chemical Guys and Meguiar's have products that claim the very same protection as Collinite 845 - and extensive testimony as such including comparisons for better gloss/shine and at a lower cost (there's no monopoly on durability).

As stated previously - no one is disputing Collinite 845 is a proven and solid product.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I guess I'll finally buy a bottle of this stuff online, and try it.

Hoping it won't be a total disappointment, like when I listened to people here about how good Michelin tires are.

They aren't.

If you are going to purchase/use Collinite 845, be sure to follow the directions as seen on pg-1 of this post. Like he says, you want it about the consistency of milk and apply it using a very thin coat.
Good luck.
11.gif

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how...endary-wax.html

Originally Posted By: irv

I suspect that's endlessly debatable. Both Chemical Guys and Meguiar's have products that claim the very same protection as Collinite 845 - and extensive testimony as such including comparisons for better gloss/shine and at a lower cost (there's no monopoly on durability).

As stated previously - no one is disputing Collinite 845 is a proven and solid product.

Hyundai, since you are “new” around here I’ll give you some slack. The OP was not asking about comparable products, he was talking about Collinite in particular. That’s why I commented on your suggestions of other products.

Personally I do not use Collinite and I never have. That does not mean I should derail the thread with my own preferences. That would be impolite.

Hyundai, since you are “new” around here I’ll give you some slack. The OP was not asking about comparable products, he was talking about Collinite in particular. That’s why I commented on your suggestions of other products.

Personally I do not use Collinite and I never have. That does not mean I should derail the thread with my own preferences. That would be impolite.

First of all...I don't need any slack. No one said anything derogatory about this precious topic.

Also, no one is "derailing" anything (except those who find the need to debate in a thread anytime someone doesn't rubber stamp an opinion). IF the purpose is to discuss Collinite 845 as a recommended product for the betterment of any readers who might want to consider using a product, then its totally appropriate to discuss its pros and cons, as well as alternatives. That has been done routinely on this site for numerous products.

One thing that people often fail to realize is that for Michelin tires to last as long as they do, the rubber must be very hard. The rubber being hard causes all sorts of problems in the rain (they slide) and in the snow(no grip). As a result of that and the fact that Michelin tires are among the most expensive around, I honestly believe that much better tires deal and performance are out there to be had!
Matt

I don't see a difference in shine in this pic, and I'm sure the Collinite will outlast the other two products...

Besides an awesome shine and unbeatable durability, another thing I like about the 845 is that not only does it not stain trim, you can actually purposely apply it to trim and it restores it to it's original "like new" finish. Try that with another wax/polish/sealant...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't see a difference in shine in this pic, and I'm sure the Collinite will outlast the other two products...

Agreed. It will absolutely outlast the NXT 2.0 by quite a bit, and will likely outlast the Megs Ultimate, although perhaps not by much.. The difference is, when properly applied, a single bottle of the Collinite 845 will definitely provide more applications than a tub or bottle of Megs Ultimate, and at a lower price.

Don't get me wrong, both are good, but it's hard to outlast the Collinite. FK1000p could possibly do it.. maybe.

Bottom line, any of the Collinite offerings are exceptional, even more so, when you consider how inexpensive they are. #845 is the best value of the bunch, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Agreed. It will absolutely outlast the NXT 2.0 by quite a bit, and will likely outlast the Megs Ultimate, although perhaps not by much.. The difference is, when properly applied, a single bottle of the Collinite 845 will definitely provide more applications than a tub or bottle of Megs Ultimate, and at a lower price.

Don't get me wrong, both are good, but it's hard to outlast the Collinite. FK1000p could possibly do it.. maybe.

Bottom line, any of the Collinite offerings are exceptional, even more so, when you consider how inexpensive they are. #845 is the best value of the bunch, IMHO.

Good to hear that. With a per-vehicle-application cost of about 75-80 cents, Meguiars Ultimate Liquid certainly compares well to Collinite 845 in terms of attractive price. They also claim a very long protection timeframe (over 6 months, depending on conditions).

One differentiator candidate might be how easily these 2 products are applied (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid is incredibly easy to apply and wipe off without any residue, not even on dark trim - an equally strong point with Collinite 845). I've read a few reviews elsewhere indicating Collinite 845 can be a bit tricky to work with in terms of application, but overall many reviews are very positive.

In the end, it's actually good to have Collinite 845 and perhaps a couple other comparable products as choices.

I tried many other sealant and waxes over the years. No matter how great and technologically advanced they appear to be, I'm always back to 845. I've seen some sealants giving and awesome appearance at first, only to slowly wither and quit. 845 doesn't give the greatest look, but it's still great and outlasts anything in its price range and even many more expensive ones.

Last year, I decided I'm done wasting money testing waxes and sealants. 845 works. I threw the rest away.

Originally Posted By: Broo
I tried many other sealant and waxes over the years. No matter how great and technologically advanced they appear to be, I'm always back to 845. I've seen some sealants giving and awesome appearance at first, only to slowly wither and quit. 845 doesn't give the greatest look, but it's still great and outlasts anything in its price range and even many more expensive ones.

Last year, I decided I'm done wasting money testing waxes and sealants. 845 works. I threw the rest away.

I'm not quite sure where this "845 doesn't give the greatest look" thing is coming from. It's every bit as glossy as any wax or sealant. If you're not getting the glossiness from 845 that you think you should be getting, it isn't because of the 845. It's because the surface underneath isn't as smooth as it should be...

Back