FRAM Ultra 6607 or 7317?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only when using FRAM oil filters, the '15 Altima 2.5 SV in my signature calls for Fram(any FRAM)#6607 which is on the small side as many of you know. OTOH, other filter Mfg's call for their larger(if we can call is larger) filter which would be the equivalent of the Fram #7317.

Can/should I use the #7317?
Should I not use the #7317?

I've been using other brand filters which as stated above, and these filters are their larger/required filter in the filter guide. I use these filters(oh, lets say Puro ONE) for at least 2 OCI's and sometimes 3 but, no more than ~ 12K miles

Any opinions?

Use the 7317. Same specs, but ~3/4" longer, more media area. Never understood why Nissan specs the shorty 6607 when I've not seen an application where the 7317 wouldn't fit. That includes 2017 Rogue 2.5L which I recently did oil and filter change on and used the Napa Gold equivalent of the 7317, the 7356.

One thing I don't understand is why different aftermarket makers are calling for different filters. If the 2015 Altima calls for the 6607 application, all manufacturers should list the same.

As for using two/three ocis, FU up to the task.

I have used the 7317 on my 06 Altima exclusively. As my wife has a Civic it simplifies buying filters.

I've used the 7317-equivalent on my Q50. Slightly longer, but gasket, thread and bypass are the same as the 6607.

There is no harm in using the 7317. FRAM Ultra will easily do much more than 12k miles.

I use the 7317 version quite often my friend. It has the same bypass psi and the same gasket size. Funny but true deal is Nissan used to spec the longer filter for the generation of Nissan's prior to the 07-2012. And the battery size used to be the 24f version too... Then changed it to the group 35 version which is smaller as well.

Right now I have the shorter version on my car because that's all Premium Guard makes for it through Federated Auto. But I have always liked the longer one better. Fram Ultra can run an exceptionally long time. We have had people on here run them for 24k miles. And those filters still looked good.

XG7317 will be fine, I also run one on my G37 Coupe - works perfectly, just need to add just a tad more oil to account for the extra filtering media. Cheers

7317 IT IS!
Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

CB

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
One thing I don't understand is why different aftermarket makers are calling for different filters. If the 2015 Altima calls for the 6607 application, all manufacturers should list the same.

I have a G35 with the VQ35HR engine and it uses a 6607 filter. I've checked multiple filter manufacturers and they all specify an almost identical (as far as dimensions) filter. WIX says 51358, K&N says HP1008, and so on. The "oversize" parts would be 57356 and HP1010.

I'd be very surprised if a manufacturer spec'd the oversize filter unless they didn't have the 'standard' size available.

Nissan is a much more vicious cost cutter than GM, the move to a 6607 = $$$.

Now quick lubes are using a filter that's a bit smaller than a 6607 for Honda/Nissan/Subaru applications.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
...I'd be very surprised if a manufacturer spec'd the oversize filter unless they didn't have the 'standard' size available.

Me too. However the OP seemed to imply if not state some other manufacturers besides Fram spec another filter, the 7317. Thus mentioned for reference.

As noted, quick lubes, indies and some brands frequently downsize and consolidate the 7317 to the 6607. Never seen a spec'd upsize though.

When it comes the 6607 to 7317 and sae thread cousins 4967 to 4386, 'I' consider them a sensible upsize.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Me too. However the OP seemed to imply if not state some other manufacturers besides Fram spec another filter, the 7317. Thus mentioned for reference.

I actually have a cheat sheet (well, I use "Notes" on my iPhone) to keep track of alternate sizes from different brands. I can add Mobil filters to the list that do NOT list the oversize filter as "normal". I'm curious which filter manufacturers do. A Bosch D3300 is just over a 1/4" longer so I don't think that qualifies as oversized. STP specs an "S6607" and it's 1/8" shorter than the Fram 6607.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I use the 7317 version quite often my friend. It has the same bypass psi and the same gasket size. Funny but true deal is Nissan used to spec the longer filter for the generation of Nissan's prior to the 07-2012. And the battery size used to be the 24f version too... Then changed it to the group 35 version which is smaller as well.

If I'm not mistaken, Nissan and/or Infiniti do spec a larger filter on the same engine (VQ35) but only when it's in a truck, van, or SUV. Plenty of other models have plenty of room for the larger filter though so it's odd why they deal with (2) different filters.

Regarding the battery size, it appears that 24F batteries aren't that common anymore so I believe availability drove that change. My G35 had the battery replaced by an Infiniti dealer and they put a 24F in it but every single "battery selector" I've checked will list the battery as a 35.

I would use it, I run the 3600 on my Tacoma without problems and it calls for the 3614 which is about half the length. Getting it in there is a bit tougher but I have it down.

I'm planning to use the 7317 on my Yamaha Grizzly next oil change in place of that shorty filter, should make it easier to take off next time too since it sticks out a bit further and is easier to grab a hold of!

Not trying to give you a hard time here at all... Just saying what I think may well be the deal here.

I will say this man that 24f sized batteries are everywhere... And are still found anywhere. They went to the 35 for... Drum roll please.... Cutting weight. And weight drop helps with fuel economy. Thus why the CVT transmission is becoming more popular. Less weight. Even with batteries cutting 5 to 6 pounds matters a lot to the furl economy hounds.

I'm glad tour dealership put in a 24f battery in your car. That's a great deal! What year model is your car there man??

And your car is a great car I'm sure. I should have bought one years ago that had a good price on it. Beautiful car. Deep blue. It was an 08 G37. 3.7 motor and a lot of options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back