Working 40+ hours a week and multi jobs etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans are known to work a lot. O.T is common as is working long hours on salary. It is not uncommon to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

I often worked 40+ hours a week taking O. T when offered and working a full and part time job.

How about you?

Most weeks are 40 but I can add my OT so that I get paid for 50.

I can easily work 6 hours... but stretch my paid labor to 12. Boss pre approves OT no problem.

I find that folks who do contract work need to keep the contracts coming in, so when multiple contracts stack up there can be a lot extra hours ( and maybe a little double billing).
blush.gif

Not really. A few times I've pulled extra hours, but it's been two decades since I've gone salary--my goal is to keep my hours under 40 if anything, as the pay is the same. If I ever am in a habit of working more than 8 hours a day I start looking into why.

I generally value my time off more than OT pay. I'm fortunate to be able to bank most of my overtime at the earned rate (1.5x/2.0x) and take days off down the road.

I have been fortunate to only have to work 35hr work weeks with occasional 40hr work weeks in tech industry. Once in a while when things are poorly run by PM people work longer hours to make up for bad management. My role is not to organize the projects except for technical bits. PM can muck up execution and delivery.

I used to work quite a bit of OT that involved Saturdays at time and a half and Sundays at double time. About 20 hours a week or more. The money was great. But as I got older I stopped that and let the younger people with families take my share. In my last 9 years before my retirement I worked zero overtime.

I've finally come to the point in my life I do not need anything past 40, but I'll enjoy the OT if I have to work it. Was working a job that we would travel out of town during the week. Typically 3 hour or so drive home would be the OT. I have had to work emergency calls so those were DT, but the taxes ate alot of that up. Was tiring though. Luckily I just started doing something that is 40 hours normally since they run 3 shifts and if something doesn't get done the other shift takes care of it, lol. Winter will probably incur some OT though as we're responsible for snow removal...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Americans are known to work a lot. O.T is common as is working long hours on salary. It is not uncommon to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

I often worked 40+ hours a week taking O. T when offered and working a full and part time job.

How about you?

I worked two jobs for nearly 20 years. The second job took nearly every weekend, and many evenings while I was at my regular job.

Now, after two decades of that, people tell me how "lucky" I am that I have a pension from that second job.

Sure...it was all "Luck"... Every weekend. Every night. Every time I was doing work when other people were relaxing.

I wish I had known at the time that all that hard work, extra effort and sacrifice was all "luck"...

Salaried government employee here. 40 hours a week and anything else is comp time. Don't really do a lot of that. But, back in my early 20's, I was working 40 a week, going to grad school at night, working as graduate lab assistant on Sat and Sun and also playing drums on weekends. That schedule about burned me out, but in the long run, it was well worth it. Got me to where I am today. For some reason, I just can't see my daughter pulling something like that off. Probably my fault for spoiling her, but, she is my daughter.

I work 40 hours a week, and get overtime. I'm also expected to address certain issues remotely outside of work, which can be a pain sometimes. My schedule is very hectic, I replaced 3 people and haven't taken a vacation longer than 2 days in around 2 years. I'm hoping to take time off this summer.

I get a base $300 per week for on-call, then get paid 4 hours OT for each 'after hour' dispatch page that I can't resolve over the phone and need to handle in person.

35 years at my company now, the first 20 I worked a ton of extra hours 60 or more hours per week. My wife stayed home for 12 years with our young children. It worked out pretty well,now I work 40 hours 10 months a year and no OT available, don't mind at this point. At my age now I feel I can work much longer at this slower pace and I still like my job.

I worked 70 hours a week on one of the two jobs I had. Have nothing to show for it. Even if I did, cant remember any of it. Time is the most valuable commodity, too many of us spend it chasing something we dont need, or even want.
Now I am still busy as a mule, but have my priorities straight.

At my city fire department we worked a nine day cycle of 3 days out of 5 and 4 straight off. So I would work like M W F and have 4 off and cone back and work W, F,Sun. These were 24 hour shifts so we worked 2912 hours a year so 832 hours were OT.
Our mayor and city council in its infinite wisdom decided to run our numbers low and fill open seats with OT.
I once worked 10 straight 24 hour shifts, not at the same station though, talk about stir crazy.
Then the mayor and fire chief had the balls to [censored] when several of us made more than they did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back