16 Honda Pilot, 4,658mi PP 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest report for my Pilot. This fill has been ran for a little over 4500mi and MM read at 20%. Car was primarily short tripped and saw some 32F temps but nothing crazy as you'd expect in Texas. There was about 0.5qts of Amsoil SS 0w20 on the top of 5qts of PP 0w20 (D1G2) since it takes around 5.5qts for a full change.

For some reason OA didn't combine the last report with the two previous ones so I had to do it manually. Also, here are the universal averages (based on 6600mi) for this engine.

What y'all think?

You got a good sample of the J35Y6, you change the oil on time, and you have good driving manners.

I say you love your car, and Hondas tend to love you back and last many years.

Thank you for the kind words. I really do like the car even though it is primarily driven by my wife. It took me a while to educate her to a certain level of care and develop good driving practices but it definitely was worth it.

I might be slightly OCD about the cleanliness and perfect mechanical condition of my cars but what the heck, if it makes me feel good it probably is worth it.

As far as the UOA goes, i think following MM would be a good practice for these particular driving patterns.

Last edited:
I think the MM works well for the PP oil, you could probably change at 15% as per standard practice.

Good report. The Amsoil bumped your ending viscosity a little.

Soot is interesting, looking forward to others comments.

To confirm, the engine has 18979 total miles?

Correct, 18979mi at the time i dumped the oil. Why do you think amsoil had any effect on the final viscosity? Same 0w20 with very little difference in cst

I haven't actually paid attention at soot in first. Now that you mentioned it soot seems to be slightly elevated compared to previous results. What could be the cause? and what are the thresholds?

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I haven't actually paid attention at soot in first. Now that you mentioned it soot seems to be slightly elevated compared to previous results. What could be the cause? and what are the thresholds?

I think soot is a normal by-product of DI engines, and OAI doesn’t seem to think it’s an issue. OAI does a lot of commercial fleet work and this measure is likely more directed at diesels than gasoline engines.

I’ve had a couple of .2%-.3% soot UOAs for my DI CRV that retreated to <.1% in subsequent evaluations of the same fill. My guess is that OAI only tests for soot if there’s some kind of indicator of an issue and otherwise they simply use the < .1% estimate. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Here's an updated report with historical data as well as OAI comments. Two previous fills were Mobil 1 0w20 AFE

33.gif

It is a DI but i’m not sure if it is an Earthdreams. I would imagine it is lol

I took a look by way of comparison to the J35 in my Ridgeline (1st-gen, non-DI engine). However, our use is so radically different that I decided to not compare. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back