I don't know how some people survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady calls. Says she can't find our shop. I ask her where she is and she is just a hundred yards or so at the intersection. I can't see her for a building but from what she tells me she is pointing south. All she has to do is go to the intersection,make right and pull into our parking lot. She can't figure that out so soon a huge crane comes from the other way and turns down our street. I tell her to follow the big yellow crane. Then I see her pass our intersection going south!

I told her to turn around and follow where the crane went.... She past Us and followed the crane into the crane yard next door. Right past me frantically waving on the curb and right past our huge yellow sign.

Really?

Last edited:
I am a retired librarian, and we couldn't believe how people had to have Mapquest for everything. Something would be 3 block down the street and they had to have a Mapquest printout. People are unbelieveable.

Yes, and I find it scary that these kind of people are out on the road. Seeing the stupid things people do makes a LITTLE more sense! (but not much).

Smart phone = stupid people. I have to give directions at my job every day. Whether it be around the business' property or to a shopping area 200 yards to the west of us. I am genuinely surprised now when someone's eyes DON'T glaze over and I only have to tell them once.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Wow, yeah how they reached adult age is a mystery.

...there is a reason the average IQ is now 80...

And, by definition, HALF of the people are below that average...

I'm pretty sure, by definition, average IQ is always 100. I could be wrong, it could be median IQ =100, but it's one or the other.

Your IQ goes up or down based on how much you know versus what the average or median (as the case may be) knows and can perform (problem solving, language vocabulary, etc).

IQ is imperfect in that it's always ethno-centric. So simply moving to a different country means your IQ pretty much automatically goes down, as you will know less about that society than the average person who grew up in it will.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

I'm pretty sure, by definition, average IQ is always 100. I could be wrong, it could be median IQ =100, but it's one or the other.

Nope, it was tested and set at 100...then drifted up to around 130...then we started devolving at about the same time as reality TV became common.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Nope, it was tested and set at 100...then drifted up to around 130...then we started devolving at about the same time as reality TV became common.

Really, I don't believe that to be true. The Classic IQ test is graded on a bell curve, a score of 90~110 covers just over 50% of the population and is described as "Average Intelligence". If you took the current IQ test every year your score may fluctuate as you described because the test itself changes with the test scores of everyone who takes it.

For example, if everyone in a given nation went from an average grade 8 education to an average grade 12 education, then someone with a grade 8 education would likely fall in his IQ score over time, but an intelligent person with a grade 8 may be able to maintain or even increase his score in comparison with the grade 12 educated average (via lifelong learning or skill development, for example).

Because it's graded on the bell curve, someone who tested @ 100 in, say, 1990 may not test @ 100 in 2018, but if he did, he would have maintained "average" intelligence over that time.

Really, I don't believe that to be true. The Classic IQ test is graded on a bell curve, a score of 90~110 covers just over 50% of the population and is described as "Average Intelligence". Because it's graded on the bell curve, someone who tested @ 100 in, say, 1990 may not test @ 100 in 2018, but if he did, he would have maintained "average" intelligence over that time.

what you believe doesn't have to be right.

Up until Copernicus, a LOT of people were wrong.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Really, I don't believe that to be true. The Classic IQ test is graded on a bell curve, a score of 90~110 covers just over 50% of the population and is described as "Average Intelligence". Because it's graded on the bell curve, someone who tested @ 100 in, say, 1990 may not test @ 100 in 2018, but if he did, he would have maintained "average" intelligence over that time.

what you believe doesn't have to be right.

Up until Copernicus, a LOT of people were wrong.

Good one, but I don't see your point. I was using an expression of speech, it's more polite than just calling someone out. But I can rephrase it for you.

It's a fact that the IQ test is scored on a bell curve and that a score of 90~110 represents an average intelligence in a group consisting of at least 50% of a given test population.

Better for you now?

My 4 year old Granddaughter can tell you which way to turn to go to Gramma Grampa house. I can't say any of my boys ever told me which way to turn to get to anyplace. They all use GPS. I use a road Atlas. They get worse every year it seems.

I don't know what it's like in America, I always just use the Rand-McNally and for interstate travel stay on main highways, so it's usually pretty good (although I have ended up searching for roads that didn't actually exist and others that existed but weren't on the R-McN map) but if you ever travel Canada, just contact whatever province you plan to travel in and get them to send you the free Provincial map, which will be up to date and have every road on it. It also might be available at tourist information centres along your route.

The ones you buy at the service station won't be current and often don't show the entire province. Plus there is the $10 or whatever they are.

I don't know if it would help when giving directions, but apparently men and women navigate differently (on average; there are always exceptions). So while a woman might be thinking "I go past the white house with the palm tree in front and up to the Exxon station then turn right" the male might be thinking " go north on 35th street to Jones Avenue, then turn right".

What boggles my mind is the people on my HOA's Facebook page posting to ask things like "what weeks does the city do the free yard-waste pickup for Spring Cleaning?"

These people obviously have internet access...can't they just go to the City's web page to find out?

And before someone points out that the info may not be on the city's page...it's on there.

I'm an IT coordinator for a couple of school districts. At times I'm not sure who is worse, the students or the teachers. Kids use calculators for simple math, teachers can text all day on their phone but can't figure out how to e-mail or communicate.

The other day I saw a woman struggling with a gas pump. She parked on the wrong side and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't reach. The problem is many of these people are extremely self absorbed, and take offense to offers to help them.

You would think that with the digital age we live in, where any kind of information is pretty much readily available, people would be able to find it. The opposite seems to be true, and nobody can think for themselves or look for the answer. What happened to the times before technology when we had to figure things out? It seems technology has made some people dumber, like they don't even try, and others who do think critically use it to their advantage to solve problems.
21.gif

I see your point, but, has human nature really changed? I'm wondering if these people existed in the past, in the same proportion, but less visible as there was less for them to not understand and/or be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back