Chinese NAPA Gold cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Took a look at the fine print on this 7047 cartridge filter and found it's Made in China. Never paid attention before because all the Gold cans have been USA made. Disappointing. Are there any equivalent USA made filters for the 2.5 Toyota? I dislike the cartridge design more every time I change oil. Too fussy and I have yet to plug the filter draining fitting in without spilling oil.

What about OEM filters for 10k OCIs?

FWIW, the Platinum is made in Poland.

But the best cartridge for that application is Mahle OX414D1. Made in Austria

As comparison only, many Fram cartridges made in China. Also Toyota Denso oem spin-on filters are made in Thailand, and the oft lauded here Denso First Time Fit filters are now also made in China.

As a rule, cartridges often show an off shore coo. S Korea also popular.

If specific coo a priority, prior research and inspection a requirement.

slacktide_bitog - what makes the Mahle OX414D1 filter a better choice?

Just wondering, because I will now be doing the maintenance on a 2006 Toyota Avalon with 46,000 miles on it, and did my first oil change on it last night. I routinely use NAPA Gold filters, and was surprised like AZjeff to see the country of origin on the filter cartridge for the Avalon was China. Not sure if that is necessarily a bad thing, but would if there is a known better product such as you stated, I would rather use that.

Thanks

Originally Posted by kc27
slacktide_bitog - what makes the Mahle OX414D1 filter a better choice?

Just wondering, because I will now be doing the maintenance on a 2006 Toyota Avalon with 46,000 miles on it, and did my first oil change on it last night. I routinely use NAPA Gold filters, and was surprised like AZjeff to see the country of origin on the filter cartridge for the Avalon was China. Not sure if that is necessarily a bad thing, but would if there is a known better product such as you stated, I would rather use that.

Thanks

Mahle makes good filters. And their cartridge is Made in Austria, not China. Fram Ultra cartridges have had some problems

Most aftermarket cartridges are either poorly designed or poorly manufactured, and some are even too long and will buckle in service. The best cartridge filters are made by Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and Purflux. But out of the four,onlyMahle makes one for your Toyota.

Made in XXXX really doesn't mean much anymore. Whether the filter was made in the USA or Austria, where was the filter media made? The drainback valves? The stamped cases?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
... Mahle makes good filters. And their cartridge is Made in Austria, not China. Fram Ultra cartridges have had some problems ... Most aftermarket cartridges are either poorly designed or poorly manufactured, and some are even too long and will buckle in service. ...
Whereas my made-in-China Tough Guard cartridge appears better constructed.

PimTac - In this case the media is from China. The 3.5L 268HP DOHC 24V w/ Dual VVT-i engine that is in this car uses a cartridge design filter, where you change just the media. It looks like this.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back