Fun Ammo !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by UN Ammo this morning to see if Howie had anything I couldn't live without. I picked up 20 rounds of 12 gauge Breaching Shells, and 30 rounds of the excellent 12 gauge Monolit 32, 1-1/8th ounce solid steel penetrator slug loads. The breaching shells are all but impossible to find. The places that carry them are most always out of stock. And when they get them in, they're gone quickly.

They have a load of plastic pellets that will take doors off hinges and disintegrate locks, but not damage what's behind it. The Monolit 32 slugs will destroy an engine block with a single round. The penetration these things achieve is awesome. Here are a couple of videos showing what the Monolit 32's are capable of.

Originally Posted By: billt460
...The Monolit 32 slugs will destroy an engine block with a single round...

Sooooo, they're made by Mobil 1?
28.gif

I kid! I kid!

Looks super fun!

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Originally Posted By: billt460
...The Monolit 32 slugs will destroy an engine block with a single round...

Sooooo, they're made by Mobil 1?
28.gif

I kid! I kid!

Looks super fun!

Ha!!! That's a good one!
smile.gif

What do you use these for? Do you shoot them or just collect unusual shells, or both?

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
What do you use these for? Do you shoot them or just collect unusual shells, or both?

Both. Whenever I find interesting, somewhat exotic ammo, I buy some to shoot, and some to keep. With gun laws getting crazier every 15 minutes, you'll never know for how long interesting ammunition like this will remain available. I do much the same with Hi-Capacity magazines for all of my semi auto firearms. I have far more than I'll ever need.

One of the local gun stores carries some interesting 12G shells. Bolo rounds, Flechette Darts, and Dragon's Breath come to mind. I've been tempted to get some of the Dragon's Breath shells but I don't have anywhere to shoot them. Local ranges don't even allow tracers because of fire hazard.
frown.gif

That's fun?!? What are you breaching or destroying? That might be fun, depending upon what you show.

Otherwise Id be more interested in some Federal or Remington LE rounds.

I had some of those monolit slugs. I was very underwhelmed. Fwd a few years and I was interested again so I hunted for some reviews. Found a few, and those were negative too. Poor blood trails and failed to anchor game. I've gone to federal low recoil truball.

Dduplexs makes some actual legit AP ammo for 12ga. That stuff actually does penetrate stuff. Like a beast! Sadly it's very controlled acquisition.

Last edited:
Anyone who understands ammunition and energy transfer would not try to hunt with these things. I don't care what they say on the box. Any more than you would choose AP rounds, or even FMJ for hunting thin skinned game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back