'14 ATS 2.0t / dealer bulk 5w-30 / 6.5k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this 14 Cadillac ATS 2.0T with a manual transmission with 29k miles. I had the dealer change the oil at 29k, 35k, and 40k. I was a little concerned about the cars history so I did the UOA. The OLM was at 14%.

I figured there would be high Fuel dilution because the last 3k had a majority of short trips. When I do drive it I drive it pretty hard, 5k shifts at least weekly. I also try to run an "Italian tune up" every couple of months(4k rpm for 20minutes) to prevent carbon buildup. Regarding the silicon I changed the air filter 3k mile into the interval.

Now that free oil changes are finished I put in Castrol Edge.

i never heard of these practices "Italian tune-up" I just think this is unnecessary abuse especially for a turbo they should make plenty of low end torque that they shouldn't have to be rung out. a few good highway drives getting the oil hot should be sufficient.

With 6570 miles on dealer bulk you got 12 ppm iron wear, that is fine if you ask me.

What bulk oil is this ? It has a nice 164 ppm Moly, and 840 ppm zinc (near max for an ILSAC oil), with a detergent package of Mg (474 ppm) and Ca (1328 ppm) - which looks like a modern package designed to reduce LSPI. This is a good oil.

A KV100 of 8.75 cSt, it's out of grade - no longer a 30, but this is probably due to fuel dilution with short trips and a turbo.

Anyway, good report.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
i never heard of these practices "Italian tune-up" I just think this is unnecessary abuse especially for a turbo they should make plenty of low end torque that they shouldn't have to be rung out. a few good highway drives getting the oil hot should be sufficient.

Sure, the turbo makes plenty of torque down low. The point of sustained high RPM driving is to heat up the engine to the point where it burns some carbon off. I do the same in the Jetta every now and then.

Yes this is the theory in DI turbo engines.

It's just your typical Cadillac/Hyundai/Subaru/Buick dealer. It calls for Dexos so I'm assuming it at least meets those requirements.

Good report for a DI turbo engine. Other than the viscosity loss this is a pretty good report. Happy to see a healthy 4 year old LTG with a good UOA.

Use Euro oils. Kinematic viscosity proves that. That engine in Europe is anyway slated for ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils, so cannot do any harm to engine.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Use Euro oils. Kinematic viscosity proves that. That engine in Europe is anyway slated for ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils, so cannot do any harm to engine.

Out of warranty, agreed. I have a long way to go to get there.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Why don't you use 5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4? If 5W30 is recommended does it say ILSAC GF-5 or just 5W30 API SL/SM/SN?

Why don't you use 5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4? If 5W30 is recommended does it say ILSAC GF-5 or just 5W30 API SL/SM/SN?

Must be a Dexos 1 Gen 2 5w30 for warranty adherence.

Must be a Dexos 1 Gen 2 5w30 for warranty adherence.

GM included an LSPI test in dexos2 so they could specify that for gas as well as diesel engines in Europe, but that might not help in the US in the extremely unlikely event that the oil used was called into question for a warranty claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back