Time for a new roof? Quote too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my first house in August of 2017. The roof was replaced back after Ivan hit in 2004 with 3 tab shingles, so it is about 14 years old. I had a local roofing company with excellent reviews come out today to inspect a leak and also quote me for a new roof all together. I only know there is a leak because every time it rains I get water that trickles down one of the vent pipes.

He quoted me $5,952 for a new asphalt architectural shingle roof. That includes removing all the old materials as well. The house is a 1959 ranch and is just under 1600 square feet.

He did say the shingles themselves were in decent shape, but the way they nailed them down wasn't correct. I can't comment on that because I have no idea what the proper way is, nor would I know how to identify it.

Anyway, I thought that price seemed low. What do you all think? And what would you say to a 14 year old 3 tab shingle roof in Florida? Try to fix the leak and get another 5 years or more out of it? Or go ahead and replace?

You need to see the roof for yourself. South and West exposures usually wear out the fastest.

Did they say which brand of shingles they will be using
Not all shingles are created equal. Stay away from Iko shingles they are garbage.

I went with Certainteed shingles.

My house is 16 years old and. I needed to replace one southern exposure after 13 years. 80 %of the granules were off the shingles. last year I replaced the western exposure of the roof. Get quotes from at least 4 roofing companies.

Originally Posted By: JC1
You need to see the roof for yourself. South and West exposures usually wear out the fastest.

Did they say which brand of shingles they will be using
Not all shingles are created equal. Stay away from Iko shingles they are garbage.

I went with Certainteed shingles.

My house is 16 years old and. I needed to replace one southern exposure after 13 years. 80 %of the granules were off the shingles. last year I replaced the western exposure of the roof. Get quotes from at least 4 roofing companies.

Odd, the granules are still very much attached on mine.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
That price seems typical for that size house.

I guess I was just expecting it to be more. Currently waiting to hear back on a quote for a metal roof.

You want to re- roof,remove old shingles down to roof boards/ sheathing. Roofing over the shingles wont last as long.

I have a 2 story house with many different pitches and roof lines and is 1900 sq ft. $5900 is what ours will be in August. Ours was was nailed incorrectly as well 10 ish years ago. We got credit on it when we bought the house because I caught something when the inspector was here, thank my lucky stars. The roofer the po had inspect the roof was a guy I know so he gave me a lot of insight on the roof. He had repaired it twice. Long story short that price is probably normal.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I purchased my first house in August of 2017. The roof was replaced back after Ivan hit in 2004 with 3 tab shingles, so it is about 14 years old. I had a local roofing company with excellent reviews come out today to inspect a leak and also quote me for a new roof all together. I only know there is a leak because every time it rains I get water that trickles down one of the vent pipes.

He quoted me $5,952 for a new asphalt architectural shingle roof. That includes removing all the old materials as well. The house is a 1959 ranch and is just under 1600 square feet.

He did say the shingles themselves were in decent shape, but the way they nailed them down wasn't correct. I can't comment on that because I have no idea what the proper way is, nor would I know how to identify it.

Anyway, I thought that price seemed low. What do you all think? And what would you say to a 14 year old 3 tab shingle roof in Florida? Try to fix the leak and get another 5 years or more out of it? Or go ahead and replace?

You saw that most of the rock is on the shingles + even on the south and west sides? And it leaks at one pipe only?

Originally Posted By: 4WD

You saw that most of the rock is on the shingles + even on the south and west sides? And it leaks at one pipe only?

Yes, only 1 vent pipe is leaking. Well, the pipe itself is not leaking, the water is somehow getting past the roof and dripping down the pipe.

Yes, only 1 vent pipe is leaking. Well, the pipe itself is not leaking, the water is somehow getting past the roof and dripping down the pipe.

So if that could be sealed … what’s he saying the nail risk is … loss of shingles in wind? BTW, what’s the highest wind these have withstood problem free?

I’m wondering if these shingles are stapled on instead of nailed. Roofers were using staples for a while but I heard that nails are now preferred.

If it is just the vent pipe leaking, you can seal that up yourself and buy a few years of time to save up for the roof. It sounds like it’s still good. No curling or other weather issues showing?

You didn't say what type of vent pipe you're talking about.
If it goes through the roof, is it plastic, metal or lead?
Does it have one of those #$%^ rubber washers?
Good, old lead is hard to beat. Mine are 30+ yrs old in Tx heat and still don't leak.

He may have been referring to whether they were storm-nailed or not. In Florida, your new archy-shingles should be. I'd also recommend HD galva-lume metal flashing rather than that incredibly cheap/flimsy junk I see on so many houses around here. Looking up the rake, you can see it weave in & out.

We need good photos....

My 3-tab shingle roof lasted almost 30yrs in Tx heat and didn't leak.

So if that could be sealed … what’s he saying the nail risk is … loss of shingles in wind? BTW, what’s the highest wind these have withstood problem free?

I am not sure what his point about the nails were, other than that they were not done properly. The current roof has been though tropical storms and hurricanes over the last 14 years, and is still all original. So I am guessing wind isn't the issue.

You could probably fix that with a boot. That usually goes over the vent pipe and you shingle around it. Ranches are pretty simple. I'd check the quote to see exactly what they're using. Tyvek roofing felt? Starter shingles? I think a ranch would still have a ridge vent and should have a cap and ridge shingle, not a tear off on a 3 tab. I'm not sure about Florida but I think normally it's 4 nails per shingle, but in Florida it's 6. The price isn't too bad, normally around here it's about $400 a square (100 square feet) and I'm not sure if the 1600 was the calculation with extra and it's really 15 squares and it was priced with some wastage at 16. So it's not a bad price. Shingles alone are almost $100 a square.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
You didn't say what type of vent pipe you're talking about.
If it goes through the roof, is it plastic, metal or lead?
Does it have one of those #$%^ rubber washers?
Good, old lead is hard to beat. Mine are 30+ yrs old in Tx heat and still don't leak.

He may have been referring to whether they were storm-nailed or not. In Florida, your new archy-shingles should be. I'd also recommend HD galva-lume metal flashing rather than that incredibly cheap/flimsy junk I see on so many houses around here. Looking up the rake, you can see it weave in & out.

We need good photos....

My 3-tab shingle roof lasted almost 30yrs in Tx heat and didn't leak.

I just know its a plumbing vent pipe, it connects to the drain system as far as I know.

Here is a picture, sorry it doesn't show much detail.

Since you're not up on roofing details maybe you could find someone you trust to put eyes on the roof and give you good advice based on actual conditions...

And as previously noted all shingles are not equal. Brand and warranty are important.

That's an easy roofing job. No gutters? In Florida?

Get a few quotes.

In the quote, they should say what type of base paper use.
It can range from cheap thin to expensive thick paper.
Ask whether it is hand nailed or power nailed?
Hand nailed is better and usually they put more nail per shingle.

What do they use for the valley?
The expensive roofer use the kind of sticky thick flexible material called Snow & Ice barrier.
This will minimize leaks around the roof valley.

Last, make sure they install the correct ventilation.

As for 3 tab shingle, they are bad.
Use only 3 nails and will blow off when there is high winds or ice/hail.

In TX, the GAF Architectural shingle is very popular.

I'd have it repaired for now, and now that it starts to age let a hurricane finish it off since it "wasn't nailed down correctly".

Of course a salesman tells you it wasn't installed correctly, they want to sell you a roof!

We got a new roof and A/C in 2011 from a hail storm, was almost $14,000, thanks American Family Insurance! (No rate increases of course). A/C was $4,500 of that. House is 1,400 square feet, and it extends out a bit for the garage too.

Hard to tell from the pics. I'd fix it or have it fixed. As Wolf said a properly installed boot should take care of it. Based on the age of the roof it should have a few more years left to it. If it was nailed down that bad you would have lost shingles by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back