Quick Struts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF son just got into a 2003 Century needs a right front strut...I see these on ebay made by Detroit Axle for $115 a pair wondering if they're worth the labor??

STRUT LINK

Last edited:
Detroit, China. Sorry, but those are no good. The cheap quick struts rarely make it more than 10k, and they give quick struts a bad reputation.

Get the name-brand premium quick struts. Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, or Sachs. They last at least 50k.

Monroe's cheaper line Roadmatic may be able to last 30k, so if you absolutely cannot afford the premium parts, at least use Roadmatic instead of the Chinese quick struts.

I generally change struts myself rather than the quick struts. But rock auto has sachs quickstruts for $117. Kyb for $100.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,2003,century,3.1l+v6,1410321,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174

Last edited:
Be careful of the gaberials. They are also cheap Chinese ones now.

Just got a set for a lexus and they are the same black chinese ones you see cheap on eBay in a Gaberial box.

The Monroes are still ok. Just don;t get their economy line.

I had to send quick struts back 3 times to Rock Auto until I finally received ones that were not defective. Even then, the rear ones squeaked if the temperature dipped below 40F.

Scrap metal, KTB would be the ones I would use for this car. You will need an alignment, the car will sit higher than before because the springs are generic and stiffer than OE but that is applicable to all of these types of strut units.

No, it wont settle to OE right height but will not be too much higher and is livable. The unit is a Excel-g and decent.

the car is rusty but the drive line was maintained 94k so didn't want to spend..needs a Master cylinder too...see Doorman for $60?

rocker panels are almost gone on the car..we're in salt country- U.P. MI. otherwise a nice car

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I had to send quick struts back 3 times to Rock Auto until I finally received ones that were not defective. Even then, the rear ones squeaked if the temperature dipped below 40F.

What kind were they?
smile.gif

Honestly, if its an old beater, you'll be fine with the cheapo ones. I put all 4 qui k struts from Prime Choice auto parts (now called Auto Shack) a year and a half and close to 20k mkles and no issues. They do tend to ride a bit firmer than stock, but I like a firm ride anyways!

Yes do both on the same axle. If the rocker panels are rusted through get some replacements aftermarket and rivet them on with body adhesive under them, the rivets will hold it tight while it cures.

Its cheap enough and will get you a few more years out of it.

KGB is a great compromise between cheap junk and Bilstein.
I put a set on a 93 Lexus ES 300 back in the day.
Darn thing handled sooooo much better.
Firmed it right up. Best $$ ever spent on that car.
Well, the only money spent but you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Scrap metal, KTB would be the ones I would use for this car. You will need an alignment, the car will sit higher than before because the springs are generic and stiffer than OE but that is applicable to all of these types of strut units.

No, it wont settle to OE right height but will not be too much higher and is livable. The unit is a Excel-g and decent.

I installed four KYB Strut Plus (Quick Strut) onto a 2006 Camry. The ride height was perfect on each corner. I measured it before I did the swap, and after, and the ride height was virtually unchanged.

(Both photos were taken after installation.)

Last edited:
this Buick has the 3.1 at 92k and it's real clean aside of the rust, I see many for sale at +200k. might entertain better parts and replacement rockers, it really is nice rusty rockers aside and we got it for $1,400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back