Anthony Bourdain - RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
For insomnia make sure your vitamin D levels are not low. Many people are. I have to take 10,000u a day. For many people 5,000u is enough. Have your levels checked before and some months after dosing. I take vitamin d with a meal with some fat, its a fat soluble vitamin.

I don't buy into the fad supplements, but some can help. I take GABA , an amino acid, neuro-transmitter( it occurs in your body anyway) with vitamin b-6 before bed. I'd had insomnia for over 30 years. I get it on amazon.

Tried melatonin, don't want benzo's or narcs to sleep. The GABA and b-6 combo is the only thing that has worked for me.

Research it for yourself.

Last edited:
This is unbelievable. We are quickly becoming a nation of prescription drug addicts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worl...m=.caaa59fc096b

"Last year, the opioid epidemic killed 42,000 people, more than died of AIDS in any year at the height of the crisis."

"In the United States, 50,000 opioid doses are taken daily per every million residents. That is nearly 40 percent higher than the rate in Germany and Canada, and double the rate in Austria and Denmark. It is four times higher than in Britain, and six times higher than in France and Portugal. As the BBC put it, “American doctors prescribe — a lot."

"The U.S. health-care system is different from other countries' in other ways, too. There is pressure to address pain, and a pervasive attitude that everything is fixable. As a result, doctors in the United States are much more likely to provide painkillers than are doctors in other countries."

billt460,

Once you accept that societal collapse is a natural cycle, you can relax a bit and just continue to make your own choices to live the way you feel most comfortable with. It really is that simple.

Every problem has the solution built in.
Usually the solution is dressed in contemplation/awareness/work/change/commitment/etc for people and societies
This is VERY painful to admit, adopt and accept.. and many choose alcohol/drugs for the quick escape of doing/not doing the above solution.

Don't forget there are BIG $$$$$$ incentives to prescribe pills for everyone.

Watch "The Medicated Child" on YouTube a documentary of a hyperactive child prescribed pills and it had a domino effect of bad results. Doctor kept on prescribing more mind meds until the kid turned into a zombie.

The billion$$$$ of meds given to children are disgusting and sad.
frown.gif

The breast cancer and 40 odd yrs of depression. Early on, I was prescribed 40 mg Citalopram. MY attitude turned 180' and I'm loving life.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
By your comment even 40+ yrs of insomnia wasn't enough for you. That sounds very sketchy but whatever. Your blanket take-no-prisoners condemnation of prescription sleeping aids reveals your own rigid thinking. Not all become "physically & psychology dependent" from their use. Not even close.
It isn't a question of it, "being enough for me". It cannot be cured with prescription sleeping pills. If it could insomnia would be non existent by now. And I really don't care if it sounds "sketchy" to you if I don't accept a B.S. "cure" by taking them. It is easier to deal with it. Not to mention safer.

It's a proven fact we are proceeding down the wrong path with prescription drugs in this country. We are becoming a nation that is consuming prescription drugs at a very high rate. Addiction to anti depressants, prescription pain medication, and sleep aids are off the chart. It is far worse today then it was just a decade ago. Just because a little is good, doesn't mean more is better, and too much is just enough.
Sleep aids are just that. They are not a cure, nor are they a vaccine; they are an aid. They are not prescribed as a cure; rather an aid. Obviously, you fail to grasp the distinction. Your premise is clearly mistaken. No doubt you'll have to read my reply over & over for the distinction to sink in, if at all.

Your second point reveals you read way too much mass-media and believe it as gospel. Once again you reveal your deep level of ignorance regarding pharamacology. Anti-depressants are not addictive. No drug is guaranteed to work in all cases, nor for all patients. Efficacy is based on long-term medical studies and statistics. To believe otherwise displays profound naivete . Further, not all who take opioids, narcotics and others instantly become addicted to them, much less for life. It is just not that simple. Clearly, you are not capable of knowing the difference while at the same time aggressively promoting your own ignorance.

Further, how would YOU know anything regarding such effects & dependencies since you never tried a single one despite being described five?
I can read a newspaper. Do your own research. This information is out there. The physical and mental destruction being caused by the over prescription of these drugs is everywhere. How many people have to die before you awaken from your slumber and realize it? Perhaps you should put the bottle down long enough to come out of your coma.
So I should "awaken", "put the bottle down" and "come out of my coma" when you admit to having no experience with the meds in question? "You can read a newspaper? Excuse me? That's a suitable answer? In what generation? Therefore everything you read is true? Factual? Gospel? Too bad you are not at-all skeptical of the mass media as you are of the meds in question.

Displacement, avoiding the question, ad-hominem attacks, B&W thinking and projection are poor form. What fits you well is the maxim "For He That Wields a Hammer, Everything appears a Nail. Except you keep wacking your fingers..

Ditto for "prescription pain killers". First, they're not all in a single drug class. Second, not everyone who takes them becomes addicted. Third, you're (fortunately) not king of the hill, nor in a position of power to determine what choices are available to others. Fourth, not everyone shares your fear of medications.
I don't "fear medications". But by you denying the obvious with your whole, "all is well" attitude, you are being flat out ignorant.

"From 1999 to 2016, more than 200,000 people died in the U.S. from overdoses related to prescription opioids. Overdose deaths involving prescription opioids were five times higher in 2016 than 1999."

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

Do you think this is all happening because people aren't becoming addicted?
Bill, Bill, Bill...you are not listening nor thinking. Your scatter-gun approach is revealing you for a fool. You are indeed a man filled with fear. In addition, you are also paranoid. Your problem is you don't see it. I am not the one in denial, you are. Nor have I said "all is well". Further, I am not "flat-out-ignorant". Yet you have revealed your ignorance, over & over, here in a public forum. In that aspect, you are indeed quite competent.

Obviously you need further proof of your own ignorance regarding pharmacology. Your above quote is in reference to opioids. Neither anti-depressants nor the sleep aids in question are classified as opioids. If all opioids were banned, these drugs would still be available. Go look it up. While doing so, learn to make a valid point.

While entitled to your own opinion, you're not entitled to your own facts.
So you like facts? Well here are some that you need to smarten up and absorb.

https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/prescription/abuse-international-statistics.html

"Every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12 to 17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time."

"Prescription drug abuse causes the largest percentage of deaths from drug overdosing."

"Depressants, opioids and antidepressants are responsible for more overdose deaths (45%) than cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and amphetamines (39%) combined."

"Of the 1.4 million drug-related emergency room admissions in 2005, 598,542 were associated with abuse of pharmaceuticals alone or with other drugs."

But let's not worry, because they work good for some people. Wake up! And as you can tell be the dates, most of this information is over a decade old. It has only gotten worse, much worse since then. So you will have to spare me if I don't buy into your attempt at trying to blow sunshine up everyone's rear, about how all of this really isn't a problem. And how wonderful all of this stuff is working on our society. Listening to people with your attitude, gives a good indication of why it's happening.

Once again Bill like a poor Archer (and a lousy debator) you keep missing the target and blaming the messenger for your own poor performance. You are still not entitled to your own facts. Nor are you entitled to mis-using what you have mis-read without question...or debate. Evidently your environment allowed this to go unchecked. You became even more lazy because of it. Now you bristle at being challenged. Too bad...

Your above "quotes" reveal more scatter-shooting, now condemning ALL PRESCRIPTION DRUGS from a site whose goal is a drug free world??? That is indeed a dam-wide-net you are helping to throw. Originally we were only talking about two drugs yet you offer "facts" condemning ALL PRESCRIPTION DRUGS? Not only are you ignorant of the facts, you now triple down on such. Again you have no personal experience regarding these meds. Again, you label them as "cures" when they are not, nor prescribed as such.

Your last paragraph indicates your own high level of paranoia and fear. This paranoia isn't grounded in reality but rather delusion. Small wonder you are a 40+ year chronic insomniac unable to sleep for more than an hour or two. Your own anxious, constantly-agitated nervous system just will not allow it. Clearly you are unable to separate fact from fiction. You offer "quotes" that don't support your points, then expand on your desperate attempt by including all prescribed pharmaceuticals.

This is indeed a fair assesment given your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back