Fluid for TH350

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an old 72 Chevy 4x4 with a TH350. I'd like to change out the trans fluid and filter. I'm about 99% certain I can go to Wal-mart and buy the cheapest Dexron they make and I'll be fine, but I thought I'd check here first. Am I missing anything? The truck doesn't see particularly tough duty, a light trip to the dump every now and again and plowing a 200 yard driveway in the winter.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Maxlife

I wouldn't. It's thinner than regular Dex III, right?

I like the OP's idea of buying the cheapest Dex III they can find
smile.gif

She leaks a bit and I don't see a strong reason to use an expensive fluid. It's just an old beater truck that does some work for me, I just don't want to mess anything up.

So a gallon of Maxlife is 18 bucks, a gallon of Supertech is 12 bucks. I'm not that cost-sensitive if there really is a benefit to the Valvoline. At the same time, this truck usually gets the cheap stuff, the rev limiter is set at 4000 RPM, the valve springs are weak, etc.

Originally Posted By: CheezWhiz
So a gallon of Maxlife is 18 bucks, a gallon of Supertech is 12 bucks. I'm not that cost-sensitive if there really is a benefit to the Valvoline. At the same time, this truck usually gets the cheap stuff, the rev limiter is set at 4000 RPM, the valve springs are weak, etc.
why change what you're doing?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: CheezWhiz
why change what you're doing?

Well I've had it for five years and never changed the trans fluid ... fluid still looks nice and clear red, and prior owner had receipts for a recent trans rebuild, and I've got less than 10k miles on it since I bought it.

So basically, I don't know what's in it, the trans seems great as it is, and I am just changing it because it seems like a good idea.

Performance people use to put in type F fluid which makes the transmission shift a little firmer and prolongs the clutch pack life.

So my understanding is that, typically, you can't get all of the fluid out. Are the compatibility issues I should be aware of? That is compounded by the fact that I don't know what kind of fluid is in there, but my bet is some variant of Dexron since it is a GM vehicle.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Maxlife

I wouldn't. It's thinner than regular Dex III, right?

I like the OP's idea of buying the cheapest Dex III they can find
smile.gif

Where are you getting straight Dex II/III these days

I thought your only choices were Dex-Merc, Dex IV, or Maxlife

Scroll down the link to the specs. Good stuff if they didn't bugger the description!

Originally Posted By: Walmart
Specifications
Brand
Pennzoil
Model
Volume Capacity
5 qt

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Where are you getting straight Dex II/III these days

I thought your only choices were Dex-Merc, Dex IV, or Maxlife

1. There is no such thing as Dex IV. You're thinking of Dex VI.
2. Maxlife IS "Dex-Merc." It says it right on the front of the bottle.
3. "Dex-Merc" IS Dex III. Dexron III is the same thing as Mercon. Dexron is a registered trademark of GM. Mercon is a registered trademark of Ford. They literally had different names for the same thing. Bottles of transmission fluid often say "Dexron III/Mercon" or "Dex III/Mercon" or "Dex/Merc" for short. It's all the same thing.
4. You won't find any Dex II anymore. It's been superseded by Dex III decades ago. Bottles of Dex III will often say they're "compatible" with Dex II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back