ACDelco UPF64R - C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was on the ATS for ~2k miles. Still can't get the pleat spacing right on a premium filter, which is disappointing. I'm not confident that those wide pleats wouldn't tear under a full OCI and 100+ Canadian winter cold weather starts.

When compared to the PF64, the media doesn't look much thicker or stronger. The can however is much thicker and heavier and the bypass valve is quite stiff with a rubberized coating that seals nicely against the bottom of the filter. Looks like the housing, bypass and baseplate were all made to withstand a higher bypass psi and burst strength. However, I'm not convinced the media strength is on par with the rest of the filter.

With filters like the Fram's XG available, hard to justify paying the premium price for this filter. That being said, it's warranty approved and put on by the dealer for my 4 year free service which is included. Good for short flush OCIs and keeping Mr. GM happy
grin.gif

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6vnj93shn3k0tyi/AAC_Pz6SdltMuy_JKifY8ogta?dl=0

The AC Delco UPF "Gold" use to have wire backed full synthetic media - at least the ones I used on the Z06 back around 2005~2006. The one here doesn't look to be wire backed.

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The AC Delco UPF "Gold" use to have wire backed full synthetic media - at least the ones I used on the Z06 back around 2005~2006. The one here doesn't look to be wire backed.

Thanks for the C&P.

Yes they were I still have 2 cases of the UPF52's they are a quality filter with good filtration quality's similar looking to the Amsoil EAO these new ones look like poor quality to me and don't deserve to have the name UPF on the can.

Here's a post I did years ago a comparison with the UPF filter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1494444/AC_UPF-52_and_Fleetguard_3554_

I been wondering for awhile if the ACD Ultragard Gold UPF_ _R filters are no longer available with full synthetic media. Haven't seen one posted here recently and Google search seems to indicate that to be the case. The ones seen now are the same as the topic filter. Based on that, IMO current Ultragard Gold no longer full synthetic media.

Topic filter looks ok, however at ~2k miles I'd expect most any respectable filter to look the same.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Thanks for the C&P.

Yes they were I still have 2 cases of the UPF52's they are a quality filter with good filtration quality's similar looking to the Amsoil EAO these new ones look like poor quality to me and don't deserve to have the name UPF on the can.

Here's a post I did years ago a comparison with the UPF filter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1494444/AC_UPF-52_and_Fleetguard_3554_

These are no longer the same... not by a long shot. Too bad. I would use these indefinitely if they were syn wire backed with the rest of the construction being of high quality.

This has been known for awhile I think. Someone just bought some from RA and says they are wire backed. Must be older stock. I wonder if it is the 22 psi or higher bypass spec these carry. They put the wire behind for a reason. I notice Fram Racing filters don't use the Ultra synthetic media either. High priced too. They are supposed to be coming out with an Ultra at 22 bypass though. So ????

If they are not wire backed, wonder how they achieve the internet rumored of 35psi bypass?

Originally Posted By: Ram02
I want to try the new wix filter that has the 22psi like the PF 64

Or the NAPA Gold 100290 (which is the same filter as the Wix with a different label) I just picked one up for my Corvette, NAPA has a 10% off sale when you reserve it online and pick it up in store, so I paid just over $7 for that filter.

Originally Posted By: smithph
If they are not wire backed, wonder how they achieve the internet rumored of 35psi bypass?

Exactly. I'm not convinced, after playing with the media on the UPF64R, that the media could withstand that amount of psi.

Why, it is just another standard paper filter
grin.gif

That being said, if I had two filters to chose from, the Wix or the ACD, the Wix wins.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Or the NAPA Gold 100290 (which is the same filter as the Wix with a different label) I just picked one up for my Corvette, NAPA has a 10% off sale when you reserve it online and pick it up in store, so I paid just over $7 for that filter.

That’s a bit shorter than XG10575? Like XG10060?

Here is my short test (3500 miles) PF63E … going to use up a few waiting on Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back