Slight slipping flare on 3rd to 4th 05 Solara 5AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Got a 05 Solara that has been slipping or flaring in gear changes of 3rd to 4th. Happens when I got car at 55k. Had ATF changed at dealer 60k drain and fill only. It still does it. Now has 96k. I'm thinking of changing the fluid again since it's been 35k.

Been reading here and Valvoline Max life came in highly recommend. Along with a lube guard shudder fix. What is that? I am extremely.skeptable of snake oils. My.logic is, it may fix for while but will make it worse in long run. Planning on keeping car for long haul. Has 96k or so now.

So: is Valvoline Max life okay to use?

What exactly does this shudder fix do? It it like "stop leak ATF or PS fluid" where it stops leaks temporarily and makes other things worse?

Yes, Maxlife is ok to use
smile.gif

I do not think lube guard shudder fix is what you need. Lubegard red is what I believe you should use. Lubegard will not hurt your trans. It may not help (like worn out parts) but will not hurt. It's not a snake oil but a good product. Do a google search lubegard red bitog or search the forum. Most like the product and have had good results. I use it as preventive maintenance no issues. I believe Toyota recommends ATF+4

Maxlife cured shift flares on my mom's car. If the only fluid change the car ever had was a drain and fill at 60k, you are due for another at the very least. Three drain and fills, each one spaced maybe a week apart will do even more good. After that one every 30k should keep things happy.

Lubegard red might help smooth things out as well.

Originally Posted By: littleant
I do not think lube guard shudder fix is what you need. Lubegard red is what I believe you should use. Lubegard will not hurt your trans. It may not help (like worn out parts) but will not hurt. It's not a snake oil but a good product. Do a google search lubegard red bitog or search the forum. Most like the product and have had good results. I use it as preventive maintenance no issues. I believe Toyota recommends ATF+4

I think you mean ATF-WS

Originally Posted By: audia6
Hi,

Got a 05 Solara that has been slipping or flaring in gear changes of 3rd to 4th. Happens when I got car at 55k. Had ATF changed at dealer 60k drain and fill only. It still does it. Now has 96k. I'm thinking of changing the fluid again since it's been 35k.

Been reading here and Valvoline Max life came in highly recommend. Along with a lube guard shudder fix. What is that? I am extremely.skeptable of snake oils. My.logic is, it may fix for while but will make it worse in long run. Planning on keeping car for long haul. Has 96k or so now.

So: is Valvoline Max life okay to use?

What exactly does this shudder fix do? It it like "stop leak ATF or PS fluid" where it stops leaks temporarily and makes other things worse?

If you are doing to work, you may as well flush it though the cooler line . If this is beyond you, just do a D&F with maxlife. Add the LG red either way, it is not snake oil. Lubegard Red is the only additive on BITOG than everyone can agree on.

Maxlife + Lubegard Red = BITOG transmission concoction.

The aisin U151E transmission requires toyota type T-IV, not ATF+4 or WS. It is the same as JWS3309.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/toyota-atf-t-iv

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/141103693775

Lubeguard red would be fine. DON'T use the shudder fix. It will make a for very hard shifts and converter lockup. Clanging and banging around.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Originally Posted By: littleant

I think you mean ATF-WS

You've got the same U151E that's in my Camry

I've got similar complaints (shuttle shift, flaring, feels like it's slipping or falling into neutral but it really isn't)

I'm shopping for a reman valve body that's got all new solenoids and a shift kit preinstalled

Whatever you do, don't use Transmax IMV, hated how it shifted on that stuff

Two stories. Just putting these out there.

I pulled a buddy's transmission out of his Suburban for a rebuild. When I got it back in, it was flaring on 2-3. Ugh, right? Turns out it had a dirty MAF. Took a while to figure it out, but once I cleaned the MAF, it shifted fine.

A few months ago, I did a bunch of work on a neglected 2005 Camry (free work for a friend). It had 238k miles and I doubt it ever had anything beyond 10-30k mile OCIs performed. I did a full tune up and when I was done, took it out for a test drive and it was flaring between shifts (it didn't before the work). Wonderful! I thought back to my Suburban experience and pulled the MAF for a cleaning. Popped it back in and the transmission was perfect again.

If you've never touched it, clean the MAF. Worth a shot before anything else. Cheap and easy.

cpayne5....What you stated has a lot of merit!

"Delivered Torque" values are calculated off the frequency/output of the Mass Air Flow sensor, Delivered Torque values have a great effect on commanded transmission line pressure.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
cpayne5....What you stated has a lot of merit!

"Delivered Torque" values are calculated off the frequency/output of the Mass Air Flow sensor, Delivered Torque values have a great effect on commanded transmission line pressure.

Good stuff. Thanks for adding to the discussion.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back