Review: SP Tools 13000 Staked Axle Nut Punches

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.sptool.com/product/13000-staked-axle-nut-punches/

Basically it is an overpriced pair of chisels that allow you to “properly” unstake and re-staking the 30mm axle nuts on Toyota vehicles.

The unstaking tool lets you can prevent damage to the axle nut threads if you are planning to reuse the axles. I tried it on a 08 Camry that I was doing a CV Boot replacement on. IMO, it worked perfectly.

For staking the new axle nut, it does a slightly better job than using a chisel and a hammer. The finished product looks a bit more “factory.”

Overall, I think they may be worth buying if you work on a lot of Toyota vehicles. They do save you time (since it is used with an air hammer), and the chisels do allow you to consistently stake/unstake axles correctly.

I had never seen a crimped nut like this until I helped Dad replace the rear wheel bearings on his 240z. The torque spec is 130 ft lbs so we just did that with some high strength Loctite.
27.gif

I may have to invest in these for some upcoming attractions.

Yah, I'm a carpenter I grok hammer driven stuff. Charlie is gone 20 yrs but,before that he was the father I wished I had. His first car was a 1923 Marmon. Anyway, he taught me about using a sharp pointed punch ( first time I ever called the tool that
grin2.gif
) to mess up the thread / crown of nut junction in a few places. Just a dimple. Rocking the nut back and forth a little is all you need to loosen nut as it chases the thread back into place. If you destroy the nut to remove it. So what are you going to do for a nut at 10 pm ? BTW is this scenario ahead of me with the '16 Camrys?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
https://www.sptool.com/product/13000-staked-axle-nut-punches/

Basically it is an overpriced pair of chisels that allow you to “properly” unstake and re-staking the 30mm axle nuts on Toyota vehicles.

The unstaking tool lets you can prevent damage to the axle nut threads if you are planning to reuse the axles. I tried it on a 08 Camry that I was doing a CV Boot replacement on. IMO, it worked perfectly.

For staking the new axle nut, it does a slightly better job than using a chisel and a hammer. The finished product looks a bit more “factory.”

Overall, I think they may be worth buying if you work on a lot of Toyota vehicles. They do save you time (since it is used with an air hammer), and the chisels do allow you to consistently stake/unstake axles correctly.

Hey Critic you should send those pictures to them for their website, the ones on there are taken from the wrong side and show nothing.

Cool dude, I had no idea that you could trash the threads on the axle if you did not remove the staking, Now I see why my VW uses a Nylok axle nut.

Learn something new when Trav or The Critic posts a thread. Replies: 50% of the time.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Yah, I'm a carpenter I grok hammer driven stuff. Charlie is gone 20 yrs but,before that he was the father I wished I had. His first car was a 1923 Marmon. Anyway, he taught me about using a sharp pointed punch ( first time I ever called the tool that
grin2.gif
) to mess up the thread / crown of nut junction in a few places. Just a dimple. Rocking the nut back and forth a little is all you need to loosen nut as it chases the thread back into place. If you destroy the nut to remove it. So what are you going to do for a nut at 10 pm ? BTW is this scenario ahead of me with the '16 Camrys?

Yep. Whenever I plan to remove the axle nut on Toyota vehicles, I always have a new one ready. The repair manual considers this nut to be one-time use.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Hey Critic you should send those pictures to them for their website, the ones on there are taken from the wrong side and show nothing.

Cool dude, I had no idea that you could trash the threads on the axle if you did not remove the staking, Now I see why my VW uses a Nylok axle nut.

Learn something new when Trav or The Critic posts a thread. Replies: 50% of the time.

Thanks!

They do have a video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93vtGzOgvXU

Last edited:
These tools help you save time if you are a shop. If you are doing it only once every decade you can do better with a chisel and 15 more mins.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
These tools help you save time if you are a shop. If you are doing it only once every decade you can do better with a chisel and 15 more mins.

Yep. The chisel set is about $45, so it is a big investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back