Dental Insurance not keeping up with $$

When will companies and dental insurance companies come to the realization that $1,000 a year isn't enough coverage when people need things like crowns and bridges?

I haven't had an honest dentist in 30 years. They all commit fraud from what I have seen. The last one I witnessed was my Wife's dentist said that he treated her for pain. Nope not at all, Though he did charge for it. That is until I pointed it out. My Insurance pays $1750 a year. And yes that doesn't go very far.

Reactions: GON
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If there was a $5000 yearly limit, do you think dentist would take advantage of it and raise the cost of dental work for those without coverage?
Catch 22.
Good point. The overall cost of medical and dental services in this country is staggering compared to other nations. I know people who travel to other countries to have their dental work done.

Are we mainly paying for malpractice insurance premiums?

Dental insurance is a joke unless your teeth and gums are mostly healthy.
It just ain't that good.
I am considering full mouth implants for a friend. Probably $50K, or more...
Did you know the #1 reason people get into major debt is medical cost, and most of those people have insurance?

The only answer is single payer.
Do the math...
The rest of the civilized world has.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
US working people have been ripped off by the medical cartel for decades.

The insurance industry, in general, is a racket.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Come to a Toronto hospital, you can see how civilized our medicine is after you wait 12 hours.

It's not like in the US you can just walk in and expect to be seen by a doctor on a moment's notice. You have to make an appt, usually days in advance.

ER will make you wait, too.

Compare dental care to 40-50 years ago. Hardly any child got braces. Now it seems 80-90% get either braces or retainers. The push for perfect teeth is really a scam.

As for single payer, it’s fine as long as you don’t mind someone else deciding your health future.

Take care of your dental needs and you will be fine. I visit dentist twice a year for cleanings and no problems.

Some Americans say they can't afford dental care... but somehow afford a nice car, iPhone, jewlery, etc...
smirk.gif

They go to the ER for a tooth ache or bleeding gums from lack of care.

Dental insurance seems to be low. I usually gripe that I can't put enough into my HSA. Kids needed braces & wife went ahead & paid before I could set up an FSA for that. Oops. Well, pay up front and for some reason they knock money off the bill. I guess that's why I save as much as I can to the HSA.

me, I plan to have teeth pulled when they break, and get dentures when I lose enough of them. Not paying big bucks to have "perfect" teeth, not until I have disposable money.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Dental insurance is equivalent to a 10% off coupon.

UD

That's definitely closer to the truth than not...I'm still waiting for the invention of teeth pavement that they can just knock out and re-pave like asphalt if they need to access your teeth.

Most dental practices in my experience are always in "up sell mode" and some of their work is questionable to begin with...but I'm supposed to acquiesce to the professional instead of questioning them as the professional isn't prone to giving options or sometimes even adequately explaining the issue even when pressed.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Do the math...

In what other countries id dental covered???

I'm in a PDO, a dental HMO. $110/yr, pays 100% cleaning, xrays, exam, fillings are $10-$30, crowns $300? Root canal $250? No yearly limit, no deductible, just that co-payment or fee.

Do the math...

35.gif

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Do the math...

Come to a Toronto hospital, you can see how civilized our medicine is after you wait 12 hours.

I spent many, many days it Canada listening to people who had family members diagnosed too late waiting for imaging … I can get that this week for a $40 co pay …
I have also seen workers under value company benefits … leave for a high day rate … only to realize how much the company did for them … Look at benefits really hard when shopping the next job …

Back